18 Month Diary Coming Apart After 2 Months!

Daly de Gagne

Aug 15, 2006, 2:39:46 PM8/15/06
to 43Fo...@googlegroups.com
I am sorry to report that my 18-month weekly pocket Moleskine is
starting to come apart, with the last pages pulling away from the binder.

There is no way this thing is going to last another two months, never
mind 16.

I wrote yesterday to the American Moleskine supplier but have heard
nothing back.

I am seriously PO'd.

Daly

--
Discuss and learn about David Allen’s Getting Things Done:

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0632-2, 10/08/2006
Tested on: 15/08/2006 1:39:47 PM

beelers

Aug 15, 2006, 4:10:20 PM8/15/06
to 43Fo...@googlegroups.com
Is the Day of the Moleskine coming to an end? I knew I should have
stockpiled a few years ago when the quality (apparently) was better.

--
The number of ways to reach an individual is directly proportional to
the difficulty of reaching that person.

Daly de Gagne

Aug 15, 2006, 8:36:06 PM8/15/06
to 43Fo...@googlegroups.com
Until we can be assured that quality is good, and until we start getting answers to our posts and letters, rather than being ignored, I think we should all stop buying Moleskines. I also feel it is only right that we go back to those places where we have recommended buying Moleskines, and let people know that we can no longer in all integrity make that recommendation. I hope that no one on my recommendation has done as I have done, and that is stockpile about a dozen Moleskines of different sizes and questionable quality.

Daly

beelers wrote:

--
The number of ways to reach an individual is directly proportional to
the difficulty of reaching that person.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0633-1, 15/08/2006
Tested on: 15/08/2006 7:30:47 PM

Discuss and learn about David Allen’s Getting Things Done:

Virus Database (VPS): 0633-1, 15/08/2006
Tested on: 15/08/2006 7:36:08 PM

Daly de Gagne

Aug 15, 2006, 8:34:49 PM8/15/06

beelers wrote:

--
The number of ways to reach an individual is directly proportional to
the difficulty of reaching that person.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0633-1, 15/08/2006
Tested on: 15/08/2006 7:30:47 PM

Discuss and learn about David Allen’s Getting Things Done:

Virus Database (VPS): 0633-1, 15/08/2006
Tested on: 15/08/2006 7:34:59 PM

triciawriting

Aug 16, 2006, 11:39:49 AM8/16/06
to 43 Folders
Sorry to hear about your Moleskine. I just wanted to point out that the
company was recently bought by a French company so it may take a while
for things to settle down and for them to get back to you. The quality
may improve, too. :)

Philip Sharman

Sep 1, 2006, 12:42:56 PM9/1/06
to 43Fo...@googlegroups.com
FYI: There's a statement from the manufacturers reprinted on:
http://www.moleskinerie.com/moleskine_quality_control/index.html

DALY DEGAGNE

Sep 1, 2006, 3:02:35 PM9/1/06
to 43Fo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for that -- I am a member of that group, and saw the post from Modo e Modo. I also had a very nice personal post from Modo e Modo this morning that I will reply to later.

I believe Modo e Modo is doing a good job in replying to people's concerns.

I would have written Modo e Modo and Kikkerland (the American/Canadian distributor) earlier, but I believed, based on what I had read elsewhere, that Moleskineus was the distirubtor. I have sent them many emails, and only once received even an automated response. I think the arrogance and lack of respect shown by Moleskineus for Moleskine lovers has damaged the reputation of the Moleskine brand, as well as their own reputation.

When I wrote to Kikkerland, I had an immediate, pleasant response. Next Friday I am meeting with their local rep to show her examples of quality concerns I have. I must say Kikkerland and the local rep have been very professional and service-oriented.

I also believe now that our quality concerns are being taken seriously, and that that is all good for those of us who want to go on using our Moleskines.

Daly

> FYI: There's a statement from the manufacturers reprinted on:
> http://www.moleskinerie.com/moleskine_quality_control/index.html

chuck

Sep 1, 2006, 9:31:43 PM9/1/06
to 43 Folders
I have been lurking for some quite a while. Having just finished my
first Moleskine notebook (for GTD capture purposes primarily, and some
general notetaking when I am away from my computer), I have been more
and more dissatisfied with the performance with a number of my fountain
pen and ink combinations. I have been trying as an alternative the
Black n'Red notebook, and recently published a comparison of a number
of my inks/pens with respect to bleed through on the reverse side. The
comparison is here:
http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=15199

So it looks like I am giving up Moleskine.

Evan Edwards

Sep 2, 2006, 1:02:58 PM9/2/06
to 43Fo...@googlegroups.com

As has been said many times, Black and Red paper with a Moleskine cover
would be ideal. I use a couple of B&Rs in my wood workshop, but their
über-chintzy covers make them unacceptable for any other use. To give a
metric to my standards, I use standard school composition books (Mead and
Office Depot brands) as my primary notebooks, and I find *their* covers and
quality to be far superior. The paper, not so much so, but it is quite
acceptable for the price and the number I go through (rough drafts and rough
project notes eat up paper like nothing else).

Honestly, if you're serious about finding a good notebook, I'd stay away
from the super-cheap realm of both Moleskine and Black and Red. They are
both very inexpensive and it shows. If you really demand a good notebook,
you're simply going to have to pay for it. Step up to leather casebound
volumes that contain paper that has been made for generations for high
quality fountain pens. But you're not going to find them for the low prices
of your Moleskine and Black and Reds. Nor are most generally as compact as
either, tending toward several hundred pages and being on the large side.

On the other hand, if you get the larger volumes, you'll usually only need
a couple to write down your life, or you can use one in an organization for
keeping generational records and minutes.

Small and cheap has tradeoffs.

--
Evan "JabberWokky" Edwards
http://www.cheshirehall.org/