WinXP did not ask for Product code

don

Jun 11, 2007, 5:25:34 PM6/11/07
I had to reload my WinXP OEM disk onto my laptop today and was surprised
that during loading it never asked me to enter its product code - I then
preceded to upgrade it with WinXP service 2 and was surprised again when I
had no problems.... just wondering why since this was a complete reformat of
my hard disk

Gordon

Jun 11, 2007, 5:25:46 PM6/11/07
"don" <d...@panix.com> wrote in message

Are you SURE that what you have is actually a Microsoft Windows XP CD and
not a Restore CD?

Daave

Jun 11, 2007, 6:07:48 PM6/11/07

This is common.

If you reinstall a "golden master" OEM copy of Windows XP (e.g., from a
royalty OEM such as Dell), there is no need to enter a product key
because of an anti-pirating feature called system-locked
preinstallation.

So if someone else got a hold of your disc, they wouldn't be able to use
it unless they have the same make, model, and configuration of computer
(and presumably the same type of XP license...Home or Pro) you have.

Jan

Jun 11, 2007, 6:08:03 PM6/11/07
In article <f4kekd$dpb$1...@reader2.panix.com>, d...@panix.com says...
Same for my Dell laptop - formatted and reinstalled and no product key
or activation required.

PeeCee

Jun 11, 2007, 6:13:31 PM6/11/07

"don" <d...@panix.com> wrote in message

Don

Perfectly normal behaviour for an XP OEM CD.
You will have noticed it did not require activation either.

During boot up that OEM CD checks to see if it is installing on a particular
brand / model of PC.
If it is not the install routine exits and 'will not' install.

There fore if it will only install on one particular brand / model
and
the manufacturer has bought licenses for 'every' machine it of that model it
ever made
then
the CD can be configured to automatically install a manufacturers key and
bypass activation
because
Microsoft is happy the CD can not be pirated.

Best
Paul.

Bucky Breeder

Jun 11, 2007, 6:55:04 PM6/11/07
"don" <d...@panix.com> wrote in

Same for my HP [*sucks*] Media Center, MCE 2005 box.
HP, I spit on you "speettttppphhh-tph-tph"!

But, it calls home and checks in, you just don't see it.

--

Stock tip: Corn-dog Flavored Popcicles

don

Jun 11, 2007, 9:09:03 PM6/11/07
Very interesting, my laptop is a Dell 8600

"Daave" <dcwash...@myrealboxXYZ.invalid> wrote in message

WhzzKdd

Jun 11, 2007, 9:21:59 PM6/11/07

> Very interesting, my laptop is a Dell 8600

We have dozens of Dell PCs and laptops at the office. All the WinXP setup
discs provided by Dell work that way. If you look at the files on the disk,
there's a folder called $OEM$ with the customized software from Dell.

These discs WILL install Windows on a non-Dell computer, but you will need a
key and activation.

Other Microsoft issued XP discs WILL install on a Dell computer, but again,
you will need a key and activation. For instance, some Dell desktops we had
were purchased with XP Home (small office, not networked). When they put in
a Windows Server, we updated the PCs to XP Pro using standard upgrade
packages.

Daave

Jun 11, 2007, 10:29:22 PM6/11/07
WhzzKdd wrote:

> These discs WILL install Windows on a non-Dell computer, but you will
> need a key and activation.

Then I guess I was wrong when I said they wouldn't!

I'm surprised that these Dell disks will install on non-Dell computers.
I always thought that this was never the case. Live and learn.

Message has been deleted

WhzzKdd

Jun 11, 2007, 10:44:44 PM6/11/07
"Daave" <dcwash...@myrealboxXYZ.invalid> wrote in message

Until I slipstreamed my own SP2 disc, I used the SP2 disc from the office
Dell at home. As long as I had a legal key, activation went fine.

I imagine other OEM products may have different results though, so you may
still be correct. Especially for "system recovery" type of discs - obviously
tied to specific brands and models.

don

Jun 12, 2007, 12:18:50 AM6/12/07
Suppose I used virtual software on my laptop like VMware6, would this WinXP
OEM disk still install with no activation/product code required? I ask this
because I would like to practive networking between two WinXP systems but I
don't want to have to go buy another WinXP disk

Ron Martell

Jun 12, 2007, 3:40:55 AM6/12/07
"don" <d...@panix.com> wrote:

Pretty much all of the larger OEMs are now using the SLP (BIOS Locked)
procedure with their OEM Windows XP installations. These versions are
self-activating if they are installed on a computer with a motherboard
BIOS from that specific OEM but are not usable on a computer with a
motherboard BIOS from any other source.

This does expedite legitimate reinstalls but it causes serious
complications if it is ever necessary or desirable to replace a
motherboard and one cannot be obtained from the original OEM.

Hope this explains the situation.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2008)
On-Line Help Computer Service

has never been in bed with a mosquito."

don

Jun 12, 2007, 10:37:35 AM6/12/07
Would I be able to use this disk to install another copy of WINXP on a
virtual disk created by VMWare on this same hard drive?

"Ron Martell" <ron.m...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Ron Martell

Jun 12, 2007, 11:49:57 AM6/12/07
"don" <d...@panix.com> wrote:

>Would I be able to use this disk to install another copy of WINXP on a
>virtual disk created by VMWare on this same hard drive?

Never tried it so I can't say for certain, but as I believe that
VMWare emulates a standard set of hardware components rather than the
actual hardware in the machine there may be issues.

And a second install of the same license generally contravenes the
provisions of the license where it says "..install a single copy on a
single computer.." or words to that effect.

don

Jun 12, 2007, 2:16:30 PM6/12/07
Ya, but it is still the same machine and the license is for any Dell
Inspiron 8600

"Ron Martell" <ron.m...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Leythos

Jun 12, 2007, 2:23:50 PM6/12/07
In article <f4mntv$29i$1...@reader2.panix.com>, d...@panix.com says...

> Ya, but it is still the same machine and the license is for any Dell
> Inspiron 8600

And if you read the licensing it clearly does not allow for multiple
virtual installations on the same computer.

--

Leythos
drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

WhzzKdd

Jun 12, 2007, 2:59:49 PM6/12/07

> Suppose I used virtual software on my laptop like VMware6, would this
> WinXP OEM disk still install with no activation/product code required? I
> ask this because I would like to practive networking between two WinXP
> systems but I don't want to have to go buy another WinXP disk

It didn't for me - I have MS Virtual PC on my Dell laptop, and the Dell
install disk still needed a code and activation. My presumption there is
that the hardware is masked by the virtual enviroment.