AVI Files

Red Merkin

Apr 5, 2008, 11:15:47 PM4/5/08
Would appreciate some assistance with this - I have a number of AVI
files, but they are not named in the manner I'm used to.

They are: File Name.avi.001 File Name.avi.002 File name.avi.003
and so forth. I'm assuming if I rename the files by deleting the last
four characters (.001 .002 .003) they will play. However, if I do
this, will it impact on the assembly/combining of all the files into
one video?

I'm not that familiar with avi files and would appreciate any
assistance rendered,

TIA

VanguardLH

Apr 5, 2008, 11:20:37 PM4/5/08
Red Merkin wrote:

Might play, might not. Depends on how the sender chopped them up. You are obviously downloading .avi files from a binary newsgroup. You will have to combine those sequenced files to make the original one file. Use a newsreaders that is designed to recombine the sliced up file from newsgroup posts. Guess Forte Agent doesn't do that although I thought it did. Maybe it isn't designed like NewsBin Pro or Newsrover to yank down the multi-part binaries.

PeeCee

Apr 5, 2008, 11:34:56 PM4/5/08
"Red Merkin" <no...@netnot.net> wrote in message

Red

If they are 'part' files then you should use the utility that split them up
to reassemble them, in this case renaming may not be required as the utility
itself should spit out a file 'filename.avi' with all the parts included.

Regretfully without knowing the 'context' of the files it is difficult to
offer any more ideas.
i.e. how did they get split?, how did you recieve them? what Operating
System are you using Mac PC?, where did they come from? etc

By the way becarefull renaming by deleting the 001, 002 etc.
The first time will be ok as you will end up with a file 'filename.avi' but
when you remove the 002 to get 'filename.avi' you risk overwriting the
first 'filename.avi' (same name)
I would suggest your rename the files 001filename.avi, 002filename.avi etc
to preserve their 'order'

Best
Paul.

Message has been deleted

Mitch

Apr 6, 2008, 3:33:06 AM4/6/08
In article <ikfgv3p42t3p8p95m...@4ax.com>, Red Merkin
<no...@netnot.net> wrote:

Umm; if you remove the only part which is different between them right
now, then of course they will not be able to be recombined -- no
software will be able to tell the difference between them (and you'll
have to put every bit in a separate folder)!
Additionally, no, they will not play properly. The metadata about what
the file is, is only in the first piece. Obviously, when it is whole,
that isn't needed anywhere else. So the first piece MIGHT play, if you
force it to.

BUT -- I'm lost as to why would you do ANYTHING but recombine the file
first? Why try to play it first? Why rename the files?

Flyer

Apr 6, 2008, 3:26:46 AM4/6/08

"Red Merkin" <no...@netnot.net> wrote in message

grab a copy of HJSplitPRO and "join" them together to form one complete
files.

P.

M.L.

Apr 6, 2008, 4:40:17 AM4/6/08

> For Windoze use HJ Split to combine the AVI files into one.
> For Linux use the cat command $ cat *avi* > watchme.avi.

I continue to be amazed by how people who chop files with HJsplit don't
indicate so or give details on how to recombine them. I also don't
undestand why they don't use a chopper like Chainsaw, which doesn't
require the recipient to download another app in order to recombine the
parts.

Rôgêr

Apr 6, 2008, 5:37:29 AM4/6/08

You don't *need* another app to join .001 files, it can be done from the
command line. It's just easier, especially for newbies, to use a small
app that does the thinking for them. Command line:

COPY /C:/Temp File name.avi.001 + File name.avi.002 + File name.avi.003
File name.avi

There are other shortcuts to cut down on the typing, but HJsplit is
easier. Or Mastersplitter. Or others.

Lookout

Apr 6, 2008, 10:02:41 AM4/6/08

I'm amazed at the number of people who don't know how to use Google
(or Yahoo or MSN) to figure this stuff out.

chuckcar

Apr 6, 2008, 11:28:33 AM4/6/08

Any group I've seen them in, it certainly has been mentioned either in
the FAQ for the group, or by text posts. Maybe not with *each* posting,
but certainly for someone who's there at least once a week, it's
obvious.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

M.L.

Apr 6, 2008, 12:53:51 PM4/6/08

Look at it from the confused downloader's point of view. Why would
someone presented with a sequence of filenames assume that google will
tell them what to do with them? How would they even know the keywords to
use for such a search?

M.L.

Apr 6, 2008, 12:55:03 PM4/6/08
>> I continue to be amazed by how people who chop files with HJsplit
>> don't indicate so or give details on how to recombine them. I also
>> don't undestand why they don't use a chopper like Chainsaw, which
>> doesn't require the recipient to download another app in order to
>> recombine the parts.
>>
> Any group I've seen them in, it certainly has been mentioned either in
> the FAQ for the group, or by text posts. Maybe not with *each*
> posting,
> but certainly for someone who's there at least once a week, it's
> obvious.

That has not been my experience.

Fred Kasner

Apr 6, 2008, 4:10:03 PM4/6/08

Nice try but wrong. The command order should be: COPY File
name.avi.001 + File name.avi.002 + .../b Destination File name.avi/b

The order if summed files then destination file. And the /b is vital. If
it is left out you may not copy binary files but ASCII files and as soon
as a terminator symbol appears the copy will stop and you will not get a
complete file. The /b tells the copy program to copy ALL of the file and
and not cut it short.
FK

Rôgêr

Apr 6, 2008, 5:40:21 PM4/6/08

Gotcha. I've only used the command line join a few times and it always
worked, maybe all I was doing was joining ASCII files.

Lookout

Apr 6, 2008, 8:16:46 PM4/6/08

All the porn group's main group FAQ mentions the various archive
programs.

Lookout

Apr 6, 2008, 8:18:26 PM4/6/08

Google What is a .001 file?
Pretty simple to me.
The problem is many users don't want to learn how to do things, they
just want to be told HOW to do them. Learning is foreign to many
today.

Lookout

Apr 6, 2008, 8:19:21 PM4/6/08

And you're trying to teach DOS to people who are too stupid to install
a Windows program. Good luck.

M.L.

Apr 7, 2008, 2:26:52 AM4/7/08

Just visited two fairly known warez sites. Neither had an FAQ listed in
their menu.

M.L.

Apr 7, 2008, 2:39:25 AM4/7/08

Yes, it's simple to you because you're not looking at the problem from a
newbie's eyes. How would a newbie even know that a list of sequentially
numbered files is looking for a solution? They were only looking to
download and view a single avi file. They might think the uploader
simply made a mistake. Pay close attention to what the OP thought the
problem was.

They might not even know what Google is. Googling on a .001 file is
quite a leap for a newbie since there could be numerous reasons why a
file might be numbered ending with 001. The OP did the right thing by
asking in an appropriate newsgroup.

PeeCee

Apr 7, 2008, 2:51:00 AM4/7/08
"Lookout" <mrLo...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

snip

> The problem is many users don't want to learn how to do things, they
> just want to be told HOW to do them. Learning is foreign to many
> today.

I would have said: don't want to learn how things work, they just want a fix
it list, but your sentiments are just so right.

So many just want to press a button and have it 'appear'
Then they moan bitterly about how much it costs to get someone to sort it
when the button won't work anymore.

Best
Paul.

Lookout

Apr 7, 2008, 7:43:43 AM4/7/08

A. He should have asked in the group where he got the file.

B. If he doesn't know what a search engine is he should head for his
local college and take a basic computer course.

M.L.

Apr 7, 2008, 2:34:40 PM4/7/08

There's no telling if there was a tech support communication path from
where he downloaded the file.

> B. If he doesn't know what a search engine is he should head for his
> local college and take a basic computer course.

Why waste time and money applying for a college course when you taught
him about Google here in just a few seconds? His question is exactly
what tech newsgroups are for.

richard

Apr 7, 2008, 8:21:19 PM4/7/08
On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 22:15:47 -0500, Red Merkin <no...@netnot.net>
wrote:

www.tomasoft.com get "mastersplitter".

The file "name.avi.001" will play by itself.
If you delete the last 4 characters, the second one will not do so
because you already have a file by that name.
Many times posters will also include a dos batch file with the
extension of "bat". This will also join the files.

chuckcar

Apr 8, 2008, 5:34:48 PM4/8/08
"M.L." <m...@privacy.invalid> wrote in

Name a group that doesn't.

M.L.

Apr 9, 2008, 3:48:10 AM4/9/08

>>> Any group I've seen them in, it certainly has been mentioned either
>>> in the FAQ for the group, or by text posts. Maybe not with *each*
>>> posting,
>>> but certainly for someone who's there at least once a week, it's
>>> obvious.
>>
>> That has not been my experience.
>>
> Name a group that doesn't.

I wasn't talking about a newsgroup since I never download from them, I
was talking about my experiences with web download sites and P2P.