Where can I find my preferred chatware protocol?

Radium

Jun 15, 2007, 8:31:29 PM6/15/07
Hi:

I am looking for a chat protocol with all the following
characteristics -- to the largest extent possible:

1. No download/installation of anything necessary
2. Does not require ActiveX or Internet Explorer
3. Does not use or require Java or JavaScript
4. Most difficult for other chatters to figure out my IP or MAC
address.
5. Is text-only [not able to transmit/receive files, images, or other
nonsense]
6. Does not allow uploading/downloading to/from other chatters
7. Can be accessed by most OSes/browsers
8. Does not have any IM/PM capability [when I post my message, I want
everyone in the chat room who hasn't iggied me, to see it. In
addition, I just hate it when other chatters PM/IM me.]
9. Is real-time - i.e. I post my message and those in the room can
immediately reply to me.
10. Transmits/receives small amounts of text rapidly - unlike Usenet
which transmits large amounts of text slowly.
11. Allows me to be nameless and still access the chat rooms with a
blank screen name.
12. Does not give away my email address
13. Does not allow access to audio/video - e.g. no webcam capability
14. Does not require an email address for confirmation

Thanks,

Radium

Penn...@derrymaine.gov

Jun 15, 2007, 9:47:37 PM6/15/07
Radium <gluc...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi:
>
>I am looking for a chat protocol with all the following
>characteristics -- to the largest extent possible:

6 Free Multi-Service IM Clients reviewed

http://chir.ag/stuff/sand/

Radium

Jun 15, 2007, 11:42:00 PM6/15/07
On Jun 15, 6:47 pm, Pennyw...@DerryMaine.Gov wrote:

Um, I still have to download it to use it. So this ones out of the
question.

Whiskers

Jun 16, 2007, 5:59:46 AM6/16/07

I think you've pretty thoroughly ruled out all possibilities. I suppose
you are aware that your requirements are those that would suit someone who
wants to force their messages onto 'everyone' without being personally
identifiable or traceable; precisely the sort of person that a 'chat room'
or other forum will be eager to block automatically, in fact.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Blinky the Shark

Jun 16, 2007, 6:32:42 AM6/16/07
Whiskers wrote:

Didn't he do that with #1?

> suppose you are aware that your requirements are those that
> would suit someone who wants to force their messages onto
> 'everyone' without being personally identifiable or traceable;
> precisely the sort of person that a 'chat room' or other forum
> will be eager to block automatically, in fact.

--
Blinky
Killfiling all posts from Google Groups

Manny

Jun 16, 2007, 7:20:18 AM6/16/07

Whiskers

Jun 16, 2007, 7:29:14 AM6/16/07
> Didn't he do that with #1?

He might have something already installed; Windows comes with some sort of
'message' tool, I think. Popular with those who like to plague the unwary
with spam or worse.

Spray-paint on a wall, cards in telephone boxes, or crayon in the communal
crapper or public pissoir, would seem to meet most of his requirements
(apart from his apparent fear of his image appearing on a screen
somewhere; CCTV and webcams are everywhere, these days, and Google seem
intent on putting embarrasing pictures into the public domain).

[...]

Radium

Jun 16, 2007, 4:47:58 PM6/16/07
On Jun 16, 2:59 am, Whiskers <catwhee...@operamail.com> wrote:

> I think you've pretty thoroughly ruled out all possibilities.

F--k!!

> I suppose
> you are aware that your requirements are those that would suit someone who
> wants to force their messages onto 'everyone' without being personally
> identifiable or traceable; precisely the sort of person that a 'chat room'
> or other forum will be eager to block automatically, in fact.

I am not doing anything illegal. The posts I would like to make on
chat are threat-free, confession-free, and do not contain any illegal
content.

Note: while the stuff I'd like to write in chat rooms are totally-
legal and non-threatening, they are still exteremely socially-
unacceptable -- to the point where majority of people in the chat room
would feel sick. Readers might suspect I am up to no good, even though
I am completely a law-abiding, god-fearing, good samaritan.

Thats why I would like my 14 requirements to be met before I enter a
chat room.

I want to disgust the public without getting my ass kicked in return.

Radium

Jun 17, 2007, 7:04:04 PM6/17/07
FYI, there is a significant difference between what the public
expresses and what the individuals - who make up the public -- think/
feel. Its ironic yet 100 % true.

Think about a gang like M13. The individuals who make up M13 are
actually against the M13 gang. However, these individuals are forced -
via extreme fear - to keep the gang going. At heart, these guys don't
want to be in a gang. As individuals they want this gang to stop
existing.

However, it's the extreme fear caused by pack mentality that forces a
gang member to:

A. Keep the gang going
B. Kill anyone who is suspected of turning against the gang.

If you are part of a gang and you suspect someone of showing dislike
for the gang, you'd better kill that individual or else, the rest of
the gang will kill you. If your gang wants to kill someone, you'd
better assist them or else the gang will kill you.

It's this extreme fear of being killed that keeps the gang going.

If you go against your gang, the other gang members will kill you.
They will kill you out of fear that if they don't kill you, the larger
crowd of the gang will kill them.

Gang member also forcibly recruit young kids by using extreme fear. If
you don't recruit the kid, your gang will kill you. If the kid refuses
to be recruited, the kid will be killed, so out of fear, the kid will
join the gang.

Do you understand this vicious circle of fear??

Society is like a gang, the same individuals who make up society are
the same individuals who - at heart - disagree with the society.
However, out of extreme fear, these individuals are forced to abide by
their own society's rules and torment any individual who is known/
suspected of not following society's rules.

One of society's rules is if you notice an individual not following
society's rules, you torment that individual and outcast him/her.
Otherwise, you'll be cast out.

I want to go against society's rules in chat rooms, w/out getting
beaten up. If my 14 requirements are met, all I gotta do is vent my
socially-unacceptable opinions/thoughts in chat rooms. Society will
want to find out who I am and burn me alive. However, if my 14
requirements are met, it will be extremely difficult - practically
impossible - for society to figure out my identity and cast me out.

Whiskers

Jun 18, 2007, 8:43:26 AM6/18/07
On 2007-06-17, Radium <gluc...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

> I want to go against society's rules in chat rooms, w/out getting
> beaten up.

That was pretty obvious from your original post.

> If my 14 requirements are met, all I gotta do is vent my
> socially-unacceptable opinions/thoughts in chat rooms.

If your 14 requirements are met you won't be able to access any chat
rooms. Some of your requirements would have that effect all on their own.

> Society will
> want to find out who I am and burn me alive. However, if my 14
> requirements are met, it will be extremely difficult - practically
> impossible - for society to figure out my identity and cast me out.

Trouble-makers have wanted that sort of immunity from the consequences of
their own actions, from the beginning of the human race (if not longer).

Radium

Jun 18, 2007, 9:26:15 AM6/18/07
On Jun 18, 5:43 am, Whiskers <catwhee...@operamail.com> wrote:

> On 2007-06-17, Radium <gluceg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > If my 14 requirements are met, all I gotta do is vent my
> > socially-unacceptable opinions/thoughts in chat rooms.

> If your 14 requirements are met you won't be able to access any chat
> rooms. Some of your requirements would have that effect all on their own.

Why wouldn't I be able to access chat rooms if all 14 were met?
Technically, what would stop me?

Whiskers

Jun 18, 2007, 9:38:07 AM6/18/07
On 2007-06-18, Radium <gluc...@gmail.com> wrote:

Not installing any software would seem to be a pretty thorough way of
ensuring that. Not revealing your IP address would be equally effective
at preventing any connection.

Aardvark

Jun 18, 2007, 9:55:30 AM6/18/07

Do I smell paedophilia here?

--
Registered Linux User 413057.
Both Mandriva 2007.1 and Ubuntu 7.04

the other English teams put together :-)

Radium

Jun 18, 2007, 11:08:33 AM6/18/07
On Jun 18, 6:38 am, Whiskers <catwhee...@operamail.com> wrote:

> Not installing any software would seem to be a pretty thorough way of
> ensuring that. Not revealing your IP address would be equally effective
> at preventing any connection.

Well, I obviously don't have to use my home IP address. I visit the
local coffee shop and access the internet via their wi-fi hotspots
using my laptop. In addition, since their wireless reception/
transmission is so powerful, I don't have to go into the cafe. I just
gotta park somewhere in the parking lot around the complex where the
cafe is located, and then access the net from my car.

If anyone's IP shows up in the chat, it will be that of the cafe.
Since there are so many people using the cafe's wifi, it will be
extremely difficult to single me out.

That solves the IP address issue. How do I meet them my other
requirements?

Whiskers

Jun 18, 2007, 1:28:57 PM6/18/07
On 2007-06-18, Radium <gluc...@gmail.com> wrote:

No it won't. Your laptop has a unique identifying code number by which it
is identified by any network to which it tries to connect - the IP number
is just a convenience for managing networks. If you are connecting by
wifi your laptop could be pinpointed to wherever it is within a matter of
minutes if anyone wanted to - and a café proprietor alerted to abuse of
his internet connection would be able to block your laptop from
connecting.

> That solves the IP address issue. How do I meet them my other
> requirements?

You don't; you can either be unidentifiable in chatrooms by virtue of not
being present in them, or you are present and thus traceable. Think of
a café as an analogy; you can go in and shout obscenities at the other
people there, and take the consequences, or you can avoid the consequences
by not doing it.

Radium

Jun 18, 2007, 7:39:48 PM6/18/07
On Jun 18, 10:28 am, Whiskers <catwhee...@operamail.com> wrote:

> On 2007-06-18, Radium <gluceg...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Jun 18, 6:38 am, Whiskers <catwhee...@operamail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Not installing any software would seem to be a pretty thorough way of
> >> ensuring that. Not revealing your IP address would be equally effective
> >> at preventing any connection.
>
> > Well, I obviously don't have to use my home IP address. I visit the
> > local coffee shop and access the internet via their wi-fi hotspots
> > using my laptop. In addition, since their wireless reception/
> > transmission is so powerful, I don't have to go into the cafe. I just
> > gotta park somewhere in the parking lot around the complex where the
> > cafe is located, and then access the net from my car.
>
> > If anyone's IP shows up in the chat, it will be that of the cafe.
> > Since there are so many people using the cafe's wifi, it will be
> > extremely difficult to single me out.

> No it won't. Your laptop has a unique identifying code number by which it
> is identified by any network to which it tries to connect

How do I find and change this number? I want to make it dynamic.

> If you are connecting by
> wifi your laptop could be pinpointed to wherever it is within a matter of
> minutes if anyone wanted to

How easy is it for someone to figure where my laptop is and which car
it is in? Will using a firewall make this pinpointing more difficult?

If such pinpointing is used, can anyone else easily find out my true
identity [as in name and face]? Can Tor and Privoxy help prevent this?

> and a café proprietor alerted to abuse of
> his internet connection would be able to block your laptop from
> connecting.

Will the café proprietor also know what I am typing in the chat rooms?
Will he/she or anyone else easily find out my true identity [as in
name and face]?

Whiskers

Jun 19, 2007, 1:59:40 AM6/19/07
On 2007-06-18, Radium <gluc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 18, 10:28 am, Whiskers <catwhee...@operamail.com> wrote:

>> > Well, I obviously don't have to use my home IP address. I visit the
>> > local coffee shop and access the internet via their wi-fi hotspots
>> > using my laptop. In addition, since their wireless reception/
>> > transmission is so powerful, I don't have to go into the cafe. I just
>> > gotta park somewhere in the parking lot around the complex where the
>> > cafe is located, and then access the net from my car.
>>
>> > If anyone's IP shows up in the chat, it will be that of the cafe.
>> > Since there are so many people using the cafe's wifi, it will be
>> > extremely difficult to single me out.
>

>> No it won't. Your laptop has a unique identifying code number by which it
>> is identified by any network to which it tries to connect
>
> How do I find and change this number? I want to make it dynamic.

You can't. You could treat your wifi cards or laptops as 'disposable', I
suppose.

>> If you are connecting by
>> wifi your laptop could be pinpointed to wherever it is within a matter of
>> minutes if anyone wanted to
>
> How easy is it for someone to figure where my laptop is and which car
> it is in?

Dead easy.

> Will using a firewall make this pinpointing more difficult?

Makes no difference at all. If you are transmitting a radio signal, it
can be detected and traced. If you aren't transmitting a radio signal you
won't have a wifi connection.

> If such pinpointing is used, can anyone else easily find out my true
> identity [as in name and face]?

Depends on how well you set up your computer. It has often been
demonstrated that most peoples' wireless laptops are wide open. Once they
are peering at you through the window of your car, your face will probably
be all too clear.

> Can Tor and Privoxy help prevent this?

No. Tor only takes effect once your 'packets' leave your ISP's network
and start their journey across the internet. Privoxy has nothing to do
with it either - it can make Firefox (for example) look like Internet
Explorer (for example) to web sites you visit, and it can help you avoid
seeing content youdon't want to see, but that's about all.

>> and a café proprietor alerted to abuse of
>> his internet connection would be able to block your laptop from
>> connecting.
>
> Will the café proprietor also know what I am typing in the chat rooms?

Potentially yes. Everything you send and receive has to go through the
Café's routers and so on, and there is nothing to stop the sysadmin from
logging everything - you wouldn't even know. Your ISP could do the same.

> Will he/she or anyone else easily find out my true identity [as in
> name and face]?

Depends on how well you set up your computer. It has often been
demonstrated that most peoples' wireless laptops are wide open.

If you want to run around flashing your private parts in the park, people
are going to notice and you'll have to take the consequences. If you
don't want to take the consequences of doing something, don't do it.
Easy.

Don't expect me to take this barmy discussion any further. I might be mad
but I'm not stupid.

Radium

Jun 19, 2007, 4:25:34 PM6/19/07

Is there any possible way I can acheive my goal?

justin....@gmail.com

Jul 2, 2007, 12:34:57 AM7/2/07
thats not quite true...you can set yourself up to use a proxy
serverl...a proxy server is a server that allows you to send
information from your browser to that will take that information and
retrieve whatever it is you are trying to get wether it is a website
or a chat room as long as it goes through your browser....and when
someone comes along and tries to find your ip address they will get
one from wherever the proxy server is located but it can be defeated
and they can get to you still so it does offer an addtional measure of
protection however you are still not invisible....the best way to be
invisible is to go to a college or public library which is frequented
by many people all the time and try to be indescript while you are
there so that noone pays too much attention to you and cant finger you
when the time comes.....:)

JT