Major boot issue after installing Norton SystemWorks 2006...

Registered Jack

Sep 16, 2006, 3:47:51 AM9/16/06
I'm having a problem with Norton SystemWorks 2006 and Norton GoBack. I
installed both. And at the same time, I uninstalled my Avast 4.7
Antivirus just after the Norton installation, thinking I can just
restart once instead of twice for the changes to take(that could have
been my first problem).

Here's what's happening now. It boots to the Norton GoBack screen, a
blue countdown bar moves from right to left inside a grey box, and I get
the "Windows did not boot up successfully. A recent hardware or software
change might have caused this" screen, with some boot options(did I say
this was Windows XP?). I tried Safe Mode and Last Known Good
Configuration, but it reboots, goes right to the Norton GoBack boot
screen again, then to the "Windows did not boot up successfully" screen,
in some kind of bizarre loop.

Anything I can do, short of wiping the drive? I'm familiar with
Recovery Console, but I wouldn't know which commands I'd need to use. I
have access to other XP machines if I need to create any diagnostic disks.

thanatoid

Sep 16, 2006, 4:10:51 AM9/16/06
Registered Jack <regis...@jack.com> wrote in

I can't help you much, but I will tell you this. NEVER install
any special "system" or "security" software before uninstalling
the one(s) you had before and rebooting and cleaning the
registry with a 3rd party reg cleaner and rebooting again. And
disconnect from the net and turn all the other programs off when
you do stuff like that.

Also, I have read a LOT of VERY bad things about Norton. It was
great 10-15 years ago, but apparently no longer. (I have never
used it personally. There are thousands of alternatives to
everything.)

As for whether you will have to wipe the drive and start all
over, I'm sure more knowledgeable people than me will tell you
what your options are.

Penn...@derrymaine.gov

Sep 16, 2006, 12:28:06 PM9/16/06
Registered Jack <regis...@jack.com> wrote:

Never used goback, understand it's bad thing, and that it writes to
the MBR.

Run the XP recovery console http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058/
run FIXMBR and FIXBOOT,

That should remove goback - if so start using ERUNT
http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/ if you need a
restore function.

--
1000 virtual cars racing at the same time - Trackmania Sunrise :D
http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=12321

Registered Jack

Sep 17, 2006, 10:40:00 AM9/17/06
Fixed it!!

First I ran fixboot and fixmbr from the Recovery Console. It got to the
Windows XP screen, but then flashed another error: "autochk program
not found - skipping AUTOCHECK," then the reboot cycle would continue.

I googled the error message, and found other forum threads dealing with
the same issue. Each one suggested running a program from the DOS boot
disk called PTEdit. It's supposed to let you change the hex value of
the partition back to what it's supposed to be.

I ran the app and, sure enough, Norton GoBack changed the hex value to
44. I changed it 07, which is what it's supposed to be, and it booted
straight up to the desktop. I then went straight to Add/Remove
Programs, where I ripped that Symantec shit out with great dispatch.

Yep, Google is our friend. Case closed.

Penn...@derrymaine.gov

Sep 17, 2006, 12:26:17 PM9/17/06
Registered Jack <regis...@jack.com> wrote:

>Fixed it!!
>
>First I ran fixboot and fixmbr from the Recovery Console. It got to the
> Windows XP screen, but then flashed another error: "autochk program
>not found - skipping AUTOCHECK," then the reboot cycle would continue.
>
>I googled the error message, and found other forum threads dealing with
>the same issue. Each one suggested running a program from the DOS boot
>disk called PTEdit. It's supposed to let you change the hex value of
>the partition back to what it's supposed to be.
>
>I ran the app and, sure enough, Norton GoBack changed the hex value to
>44. I changed it 07, which is what it's supposed to be, and it booted
>straight up to the desktop. I then went straight to Add/Remove
>Programs, where I ripped that Symantec shit out with great dispatch.

Nice one! Most people would of just format'd and reinstalled
(admitting defeat) - an attaboy for editing a partition table to
revive a system :)

>Yep, Google is our friend. Case closed.

http://youtube.com/ and I are getting pretty chummy, so many music
videos so little time.