Can someone help me to migrate to new PC?

cteq1

Jul 19, 2001, 9:55:59 AM7/19/01
Hello

I have just bought new PC and would like to transfer Data from old to
new one,

Dial - Up network connections
E-mail and Newsgroups contents and accounts
My paswords that IE5 has remembered

New and old PC have network cards and also have laplink. I know or can
copy all other data like My Documents etc.

I have Windows ME and new PC also has windows ME. The old PC is sold
to a friend so I need to wipe everything out.

Thanks

cat daddy

Jul 19, 2001, 11:45:05 AM7/19/01
I don't see your mail and news client in your headers, but this is for
OE, which probably doesn't apply:
http://www.tomsterdam.com/insideoe5/backup/index.htm

http://www.melbpc.org.au/pcupdate/9907/9907article9.htm
This gives a registry hack for Dial-Up connections, but it may be safer to
just write them down and create new DUN connections.

I got lost looking for a way to backup your passwords. Maybe someone has
a suggestion.

cteq1 <ct...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

cteq1

Jul 19, 2001, 1:03:26 PM7/19/01
Thank you. It is a start.

On Thu, 19 Jul 2001 15:45:05 GMT, "cat daddy" <furball@.myhouse.com>

TB

Jul 19, 2001, 3:15:49 PM7/19/01
cat daddy <furball@.myhouse.com> wrote in message

> I got lost looking for a way to backup your passwords.

I am not suprised. I had one hell of a time trying to find such a thing. The
MSkb is useless in that regard.

> Maybe someone has
> a suggestion.

Yep, it is in here somewhere for OE 5x:

There are two ways to backup the Address Book and Favourites in IE/OE:

1) You can goto the Address Book, Open it and File/Export give the file a
name and then send the contents to a suitable backup media location or drive
of your choice. Note that this method result in a '.wab' extension to the
resulting file.

2) From within OE: File/Export/Address Book - Comma Seperated Values/Click
all the relevant boxes to include in the Backup. Click 'Next' and follow the
wizzard. The resulting file will have a '.txt' extensionm, this is good as a
backup of your backup, as it it means that should your original file be
corrupted and unsalvageable, then you can access your addresses and details
via notepad from the '.txt' file.

3) Open Windows Explorer/File Manager - navigate to c:\windows\favourites
and open it so that all the file show in the right hand side pane. Then you
can highlight one of the files and press 'Ctrl & A' to select all the files,
then right click on the highlighted files and drag them to the backup
location ie: the 'A' drive where you will have already have installed a
blank and formatted disk. Or to whatever backup medium you have chosen.
Alternatively, you can choose to highlight the 'Favourites' file and just
drag that to the backup medium of your choice.

How can I back up my Mail rules?
Outlook Express can apply rules to incoming email, to filter out junk or
move messages to appropriate folders. To back these rules up, you need to
delve into the Registry. Click Start, Run and type Regedit. For Outlook
Express 5, navigate to the Registry key at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\
{Identity Number}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express\5.0\Rules\Mail, where
{Identity Number} is a unique ID number - if you have multiple Identities in
use, you'll need to back up all of them. Select Registry, Export Registry
File and ensure Export Range is set to Selected Branch. To restore the
backup, ensure Outlook Express is not running and double-click the file you
saved to disk.

OLEXP: How to Back Up and Recover Outlook Express Data
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q270/6/70.ASP

----

Q: I'm planning to do a clean installation of Windows 98 and would like to
transfer my AutoComplete passwords to the new install of IE 5.x. What file
or files do I need to backup for this transfer?

A: A clean installation of Windows can do wonders for your system.
Generally, you'll want to do a complete backup of all your personal data
before beginning the task of starting from scratch. Read this to learn all
about the basics of backing up your data. While performing the AutoComplete
backup they're also two additional items you'll want to include.

Here's a list of additional items you'll want to backup:

Windows Password file

Cookie folder

AutoComplete registry key

Internet Explorer has a feature called AutoComplete that saves entries
you've typed in Web addresses, forms, and passwords. This information is
encrypted and stored in your systems registry. The registry is a database
that storea a systems configuration information. Generally, when dealing
with the registry, you must be very careful not to delete or move anything
unless you're a trained professional. Doing so could leave your system
inoperable.

The AutoComplete password list is stored in the registry key called:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\InternetExplorer\IntelliForms\SPW

To backup the AutoComplete password key, follow these directions:

Left-click on the Start menu and then Run or press and release the Windows
button + R.
Type "regedit" (without quotes) and hit enter.
Single-click the HKEY_CURRENT_USER folder to expand its contents.
Single-click the Software folder to expand its contents.
Single-click the Microsoft folder to expand its contents.
Single-click the Internet Explorer to expand its contents.
Single-click the IntelliForms folder to expand its contents.
Single-click the SPW folder. You should see an encrypted list of registry
entries in the right-window pane.
With the SPW folder selected, go to the Registry menu and select Export
Registry file.
Name the file accordingly and remember where you save it.
Include this file when you backup your data

Windows Password file

The Windows password file stores either your Windows user name and password
information or network logon user name. If your computer has multiple user
profiles, you'll want to backup each users profile. Or, if you logon on to a
network you'll want to include this file during your backup to avoid any
interruptions of network services.

The password file is denoted by a .pwl extension and is found within the
main Windows folder. If you can't find it, follow these directions:
Left-click the Start menu, mouse-over Find, and select Files or Folders.
Type "*.pwl" (without quotes) and hit Enter.
This will locate all the .pwl files on your system.
Note the location where they're stored so you can include them with your
backup.

Cookies folder

In order for a website to remember a particular user name and password,
you'll need to backup the cookie folder. Basically, a cookie is just a text
file that stores user profile data and allows a web server to provide
dynamic webpages based on this information.

The cookie folder is located in the main Windows folder on your system.
Remember to copy the entire folder while creating your backup.

Importing saved data

Assuming that the new Windows install was a success, it's time to import the
saved AutoComplete registry key, .pwl file(s), and cookies folder.

To do this, follow these directions:
Find the AutoComplete registry key from the location where you saved all of
your backup data.
Copy this file to your desktop.
Locate the file on your desktop and double-click it.
A dialog box will appear asking if you'd like to save the file to your
registry.
Click OK.
Find the .pwl file(s) and cookies folder from the location where you saved
all of your backup data.
Copy and paste them directly into the Windows folder.
You should be prompted by a dialog box warning you that a cookies folder
already exists. Press OK to overwrite the current one with the backup
version.

HTH

TB

p a m t r a p 0 0 7 @yahoo.com Keith Olson

Jul 20, 2001, 2:23:52 PM7/20/01
"cteq1" <ct...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

One thing you might want to do to speed things up in a *major* way is
to temporarily remove the hard drive from your old computer and put it
in your new one. Just make sure that the master/slave jumpers are set
properly so that it won't interfere with your new hd. Better yet, put
it on your second controller as you can't access more than one hd at a
time on one controller. I have an 540MB hd that has all of my
software installs, updates, and patches on it. It's *much* faster
than a CD drive, doesn't need special drivers, and if I need another
one, it's only CA$7. What's not to like?

--

Keith Olson

-
| For the memory of the uncompromisingly righteous is a blessing,
|
| Proverbs 10:7a

-

cteq1

Jul 23, 2001, 1:56:55 PM7/23/01
Why do they have Microsoft Knowlegde Base? They should hire you.

Thank you and others for your replies.

I will be busy trying that tonight

On Thu, 19 Jul 2001 20:15:49 +0100, "TB" <tall...@NoJunkbigfoot.com>