Non-printable characters

an_dario

Oct 1, 2012, 5:20:03 PM10/1/12
to zx...@googlegroups.com
Hello!
I've been tracking this project a long time ago. I'm thrilled with all the things I can make with it, but I have a doubt.
I'm working on a project where it's necessary to scan 2D barcodes to print a message thru an ink jet system but I need to include non-printable characters in the barcode to send control messages to this system.
Is it possible to include these kind of characters with Zxing, e.g. in a PDF417 or a in QR?
Thanks!

Sean Owen

Oct 1, 2012, 5:34:03 PM10/1/12
to zx...@googlegroups.com
It depends on what you mean exactly but QR codes can encode any sequence of bytes, and have special modes for control codes like FNC1. Whether or not that is suitable for you depends on whether you control the reader and can get this fairly low-level representation out. For Barcode Scanner, when you integrate by Intent, it will give you back raw bytes along with the text interpretation so I imagine the answer, vis-a-vis this project, is "yes".