Barcode Scanner Glass 0.1.0

Sean Owen

Apr 21, 2014, 5:50:54 PM4/21/14
to zx...@googlegroups.com
I've completed a minimal first version of Barcode Scanner for Google Glass. The .apk is here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_hfrkaWlLi4bHdFcjNJQ2dISEU/edit?usp=sharing

You should be able to install with "ant install BarcodeScannerGlass-0.1.0.apk"
  • To invoke it, use the "Translate" command and choose Barcode Scanner.
  • It works on Glass XE16
  • Right now, it only scans for QR Code, Data Matrix and Aztec.
  • On the result display, tap to follow a link or search for the text
  • Swipe down to go back
Functionality is necessarily far more limited than in the Android app. Feedback welcome!

Alex D.

Apr 22, 2014, 3:32:57 AM4/22/14
to zx...@googlegroups.com
Installed fine.

But it is striking that 1D barcode scanning /seems/ to be an issue on Google Glass.

rgds,

-alex-

On Monday, April 21, 2014 11:50:54 PM UTC+2, Sean Owen wrote:
> I've completed a minimal first version of Barcode Scanner for Google Glass. The .apk is here:
>
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_hfrkaWlLi4bHdFcjNJQ2dISEU/edit?usp=sharing
>

> You should be able to install with "ant install BarcodeScannerGlass-0.1.0.apk"
>
> To invoke it, use the "Translate" command and choose Barcode Scanner.
> It works on Glass XE16
> Right now, it only scans for QR Code, Data Matrix and Aztec.

> On the result display, tap to follow a link or search for the textSwipe down to go back

Sean Owen

Apr 22, 2014, 6:22:26 AM4/22/14
to zx...@googlegroups.com
Yeah there are a few limitations here. The camera does not have auto-focus. This almost wouldn't help, since you are frequently not just inches from the barcode when trying to scan with Glass.

While it supports a number of preview sizes, I can't get anything larger than 512x288 to work correctly. (640x480 does, but it's the wrong aspect ratio.) This means there aren't many pixels to go on when the barcode is already only in a small part of the image.

(Anyone gotten larger sizes to work? or zoom working on XE16?)

There are much smarter ways to scan for 1D codes, but I am not even sure they will work since these are significant constraints compared to even low-end phones.

That said, if your'e writing now for just 1 particular device, you could probably learn a model on 1D codes that is specific to Glass that works unusually well.