Review Bombing

Paul Zillmann

Feb 9, 2021, 2:31:34 PM2/9/21
to zxing

Hey,

there was an App on the Play Store with the name "Barcode Scanner" which had malware on their ads on the latest update December 2020. This app got deleted.

Unfortunately people are confused because the app had an identical name to your app and leaving bad reviews, claiming your app is malware.

FYI

- Paul

Sean Owen

Feb 9, 2021, 3:12:12 PM2/9/21
to zxing
Right yeah, see https://github.com/zxing/zxing/issues/1345 for details. It's unfortunate but what can you do. I've spoken to a few outlets about it and commented, and lots of people picked up on the confusion.

Paul Zillmann

Feb 9, 2021, 4:15:49 PM2/9/21
to zxing
I missed the closed issues. Should have checked them.

I don't know whether you can edit the app's description in the play store or answer those reviews and I certainly understand that you might not want to do anything, after you have received such offensive comments on github.
I just want to let you know that your name is tagged into discredit.

Since you already know about this, I'm sorry to bother you with that.
I've reported the reviews to Google, I don't know if they do anything against those reviews.

- Paul