Re: Detecting ZXing support from web

Sean Owen

Aug 6, 2012, 3:23:18 PM8/6/12
to zx...@googlegroups.com
On Android, you don't need to -- you use an HTTP URL, which is intercepted by the app if it exists. The page itself is served if not, which is a download page. I don't know (don't think?) you can do this on iOS.
I don't know of a way to query installed apps from the browser on either.

On Monday, August 6, 2012 7:52:45 PM UTC+1, kolys wrote:
I'm trying to use a button in a mobile webapp to invoke the Barcode Scanner app (if installed) or redirect to the download page (if not).

The first is now working flawlessly on both iOS and Android, simply using the zxing:// URL scheme. However, I can't find a way to detect and act on a lack of support for that URL Scheme.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

kolys

Aug 6, 2012, 3:30:46 PM8/6/12
to zx...@googlegroups.com
Thank you - in order to be able to take this feature into production, we will need to be able to support both platforms, but in the meantime I will use the HTTP URL for Android and hope that a way forward in iOS does emerge.

kolys

Aug 6, 2012, 3:33:32 PM8/6/12
to zx...@googlegroups.com
Also, I assume from your response that the page at zxing.appspot.com/scan does not do any detection of its own, and the app itself instead detects the browser activity?

Steven Parkes

Aug 6, 2012, 3:37:01 PM8/6/12
to Sean Owen, zx...@googlegroups.com

On Aug 6, 2012, at 12:23 PM, Sean Owen <sro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't know (don't think?) you can do this on iOS.

Correct. There is no way on iOS.

Sean Owen

Aug 6, 2012, 6:10:37 PM8/6/12
to zx...@googlegroups.com
A web page can't do detection, nor can the app. It's the OS that does or doesn't decide what handles a given URL.

Sean Owen

Jun 3, 2013, 12:21:48 PM6/3/13
to zx...@googlegroups.com, ostj...@gmail.com
I don't know how the app would respond to this. It is mediated by the browser and platform.