Re: Using zxing to dynamically scan switching QR codes

Daniel Switkin

Jul 23, 2012, 2:52:39 PM7/23/12
to Davit, zx...@googlegroups.com
Are you saying you'd like the camera to keep running even though a different activity is shown in the foreground, possibly in a different process? I'm not sure if that's possible.

On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 4:13 AM, Davit <hovhanni...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi, I am working on a project where I am required to continually scan qr codes while displaying some other applications( Android application ). In order to accomplish this first I had thought to continually take images store them, and then within a new thread to process those images. However, I was not able to find a good way that I could integrate zxing to this idea. Technically I have a few problems that i need to address.
1. to make an application/process/thread that would run in the background and would capture only, or decode processes.
2. to encode some Random or deterministic QR codes in runtime.

I was wondering what you would propose as both a direction and as how any of these tasks could be optimally implemented by integrating zxing.

Thank you!

p.s, I have successfully experimented some of what zxing can do, but i am sure possibilities are far more .

Davit

Jul 23, 2012, 2:55:53 PM7/23/12
to zx...@googlegroups.com, Davit
That is one of the issues that i am trying to solve right now.  Any ideas?

Davit

Jul 23, 2012, 2:56:57 PM7/23/12
to zx...@googlegroups.com, Davit
I know that it is possible, I am just not quiet sure whats an optimal android per say solution for that.

Sean Owen

Jul 23, 2012, 3:16:49 PM7/23/12
to zx...@googlegroups.com, Davit
I tried this at one point. You can hold the camera open while in the background; it's a huge no-no. But even if you do, the platform will not feed your SurfaceView any frames. In fact, it won't feed the SurfaceView frames even when in the foreground if the View is not visible. Maybe that's a security thing. The best you can do is establish a SurfaceView, and overlay it with your real UI which is 99% opaque. That's kind of like running the camera capture in the background.

Daniel Switkin

Jul 23, 2012, 4:03:05 PM7/23/12
to Sean Owen, zx...@googlegroups.com, Davit
Right, I assumed you wouldn't be able to run the preview loop if you're not in the foreground, which means no frames to scan.