iPhone 5 frequent misreads on barcode scans

DavidW

Aug 1, 2013, 9:56:51 AM8/1/13
to zx...@googlegroups.com
I have a PhoneGap app that I've made that implements the ZXing plugin.  It all works fine.  However, we recently got an iPhone 5 to try it out on and have noticed that it has a 50% failure rate at reading the correct barcode.

An example barcode I would expect: LANTSB120
But infact it returns something like this: LA%&ST20
(actual example)

It's not 100% perfect on other devices and other versions of iOS, but it's close enough.

Is there something I can do to improve this for iPhone 5?

Sean Owen

Aug 1, 2013, 9:59:49 AM8/1/13
to zx...@googlegroups.com
What format? It's likely a bug that was fixed a while ago in Java, like something to do with PDF417 modes. I have no idea how ancient the PhoneGap fork, of the C++ port, is.

DavidW

Aug 1, 2013, 10:50:42 AM8/1/13
to zx...@googlegroups.com
We're mainly using Code 128 barcodes and that is where we've seen the trouble.  I tried a PDF417 code out of curiosity, but it seems that they aren't detected  in the version I have.

Sean Owen

Aug 1, 2013, 11:27:05 AM8/1/13
to zx...@googlegroups.com
As far as I can tell the Code128 reader was ported forever ago in Feb 2010, and nothing was ported since. I see fixes for shift-related issues in Nov 2010 and June 2011. You can see if the java version is OK: http://zxing.org/w/decode.jspx  If so consider re-porting this code.

Steven Parkes

Aug 2, 2013, 12:30:17 AM8/2/13
to zx...@googlegroups.com
The Code128 reader was part of the 1D upgrade I committed in April. I didn't port every line but the results on the blackbox tests were at parity with the Java at the time. There may be some more recent updates that I haven't had time to apply yet. I should get to those soon, if they're relevant.

My suspicion is that the version of zxing in phonegap doesn't include the changes from April, but that's just a guess, since I have no idea how phonegap is built.

On Aug 1, 2013, at 8:27 AM, Sean Owen <sro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> As far as I can tell the Code128 reader was ported forever ago in Feb 2010, and nothing was ported since. I see fixes for shift-related issues in Nov 2010 and June 2011. You can see if the java version is OK: http://zxing.org/w/decode.jspx If so consider re-porting this code.
>
> --
>
> ---

Sean Owen

Aug 2, 2013, 4:09:27 AM8/2/13
to zx...@googlegroups.com
Oops, my bad, I missed your update. But yes I agree with your assessment that the phonegap fork is older than that.

Christian Frauscher

Sep 27, 2013, 6:40:07 AM9/27/13
to zx...@googlegroups.com
I encountered the same problem with code 128 barcodes - it works fine on Android: scans fast and 100% correct. But on iOS it is a pain to detect anything and if it scans it will return a wrong code most of the time. :\
I was searching for another PhoneGap compatible BarcodeScanner Plugin, but without luck so far. I'm already very confused with XCode - so i don't think i could ever do a working port on my own.