Gmail subject line for Barcode Scanner app on Android

Matt Viverette

Oct 24, 2013, 3:22:52 PM10/24/13
to zx...@googlegroups.com
I am using the Barcode Scanner app version 4.5 (Sept. 15, 2013) and Gmail version 4.6 (836823; Oct. 23, 2013) on Android 4.2.2.

Upon scanning a QR code, I have the option to share via email (which passes information to a new message in the Gmail app).  The message body contains the contents of the barcode scanned, but the subject line of the message always states "Here are the contents of a barcode I scanned".  I am wondering if there is a way to change or disable this default text for the subject line.

Desired behavior, no default subject is passed to the Gmail app, only the body which should have the contents of the barcode scanned.

For the app developer, it would be a nice feature to be able to customize the default text of the subject line as well as have the option to append custom default text to the beginning and/or end of the message body.

Any thoughts on how to achieve the desired behavior?

Thanks,

Matt

Sean Owen

Oct 24, 2013, 5:31:40 PM10/24/13
to zx...@googlegroups.com
Maybe, it's just such a niche use case to want to customize that that I don't know that it's worth it. The user can change the subject at will and I think very few users share regularly enough to want to establish a different default such that it would justify a new setting.

Brian Mort

Mar 24, 2020, 11:04:17 AM3/24/20
to zxing
So we had a process that expected that email subject line as it was the default. We've recently had to re install the app and it appears that it no longer puts anything in the subject line. Is there a way to get this back for us? Or is there somewhere I can install the older version that filled in the subject line?