ECI And The Control Flow For Creating Barcodes

Cali Ente

May 21, 2014, 9:18:18 PM5/21/14
to zx...@googlegroups.com
Hey all. I was hoping to get a more definite answer as I can't seem to find any documentation relating to a possible issue I might have.
I am using zxing to encode a UTF-8 file. The file encodes and decodes fine, but my readings of the QR-Code format indicate that I may have issues later since most decoders assume the text format to be ISO-8859-1. Essentially I'm wondering this, is there a way for me to explicitly set my ECI value for the encoder to UTF-8, or is this handled by the encoder itself? As in does the encoding method do the necessary checks and then embed an ECI? I'm aware that ECI is not well supported, but I'm planning on using only zxing encoding/decoding for the application, so I want to make sure to get it right.
Thanks,
Cal

Sean Owen

May 22, 2014, 1:53:18 AM5/22/14
to zx...@googlegroups.com
Yes it sets an ECI segment if the encoding you choose is not ISO-8859-1. Have a look for uses of EncodeHintType.CHARACTER_SET

Cali Ente

May 22, 2014, 2:25:47 PM5/22/14
to zx...@googlegroups.com
On Wednesday, May 21, 2014 10:53:18 PM UTC-7, Sean Owen wrote:
> Yes it sets an ECI segment if the encoding you choose is not ISO-8859-1. Have a look for uses of EncodeHintType.CHARACTER_SET

Thanks for the speedy reply, do you have any direct examples of manually setting the EncodingHintType? The API suggests that this is done by internal calling methods.