Move to git / github.com?

Sean Owen

Dec 19, 2013, 11:21:37 AM12/19/13
to zx...@googlegroups.com
This is more a poll of interest and attitudes... what do people think about moving from code.google.com to github.com? I know enough git now to accomplish that.

The downside is mostly the disruption of making people use a totally new site, VCS, etc.
The upside is that github.com is a better place for code at this point.

zxingnet

Dec 19, 2013, 3:06:02 PM12/19/13
to zx...@googlegroups.com
I take what I can get. :)

Lachezar Dobrev

Dec 19, 2013, 5:28:07 PM12/19/13
to Sean Owen, zxing
Since you told me there is a GitHub mirror of the project I've moved
completely there.
GitHub has Subversion access too, so it's quite easy for Subversion
users to switch, although I am not sure if writing to that repository
via Subversion is possible/allowed.

Git does provide significant benefits, and I see no reason not to
move forward.

The C++/C#/ObjectC variants are being retired, if I remember
correctly, so integration with IDEs for those is of limited priority.

That said I must note, that I'm still having problems with Git in
Eclipse, and am currently using command-line Git.

Guenther Grau

Jan 16, 2014, 1:41:12 PM1/16/14
to zx...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sean,

hmm, a little late to the game... I'd prefer a move to github. Makes it easier to integrate those pull requests that come in every once in a while. And while I struggled a little in the beginning with moving from svn to git, it has it's upsides as well :-) I also think that the infrastructure offered by github is very convenient and allows a developer to quickly set up his/her own repo and start developing right away. In addition to that, I like the offline capabilities of git vs svn, as I'm traveling quite a bit.

Take care,

  Guenther

Sean Owen

Jan 16, 2014, 3:47:54 PM1/16/14
to zx...@googlegroups.com
Yeah I'm probably going to do this, just a question of when. I've also long since been using github / git. The main issue is just that so many links point to the Google Code repo, but, it can be left up with pointers and that's all fine.

smparkes, what do you think about the zxing/zxing repo? should it become the main one instead of a mirror?  I can as easily use srowen/zxing. I ask because I think I would need to take over that repo and don't want to propose grabbing it from you.

Steven Parkes

Jan 16, 2014, 5:36:33 PM1/16/14
to Sean Owen, zx...@googlegroups.com
I turned zxing into a github organization and added srowen as an owner.

To make this the master, we just need to change the title of the repo and I need to turn off the automatic git svn rebase & push.

We should still use the branch/code that's out there rather that doing another import/"git svn clone" (if we don't want to risk breaking everyone's existing forks/clones.)

On Jan 16, 2014, at 12:47 PM, Sean Owen <sro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yeah I'm probably going to do this, just a question of when. I've also long since been using github / git. The main issue is just that so many links point to the Google Code repo, but, it can be left up with pointers and that's all fine.
>
> smparkes, what do you think about the zxing/zxing repo? should it become the main one instead of a mirror? I can as easily use srowen/zxing. I ask because I think I would need to take over that repo and don't want to propose grabbing it from you.

Sean Owen

Jan 16, 2014, 6:50:32 PM1/16/14
to zx...@googlegroups.com, Sean Owen
Ah, that is perfect. Well, we just need to pick a time.

.. and as of yesterday we can't upload new files to Google Code. So, maybe now is about the right time.

I can spend the weekend replicating wikis, redirecting things, getting stuff resettled on git. Feel free to cut the sync and update the title, etc as you see fit when you have time!

Sean Owen

Jan 17, 2014, 5:07:05 AM1/17/14
to zx...@googlegroups.com, Sean Owen
Are the 'http' and 'pdf417' branches in zxing/zxing still relevant?

Steven Parkes

Jan 17, 2014, 11:11:36 AM1/17/14
to Sean Owen, zx...@googlegroups.com
> Feel free to cut the sync

Done.

github has commit hooks that will allow sending emails on commits. They're under settings. Not sure what email address they use as the source so I'm not sure if they'll get through into the group. They can add a authorization header but I don't know if googlegroups accepts anything like that.

Steven Parkes

Jan 17, 2014, 11:12:01 AM1/17/14
to Sean Owen, zx...@googlegroups.com
No. They can be ditched.

On Jan 17, 2014, at 2:07 AM, Sean Owen <sro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Are the 'http' and 'pdf417' branches in zxing/zxing still relevant?

Steven Parkes

Jan 17, 2014, 11:17:33 AM1/17/14
On Jan 17, 2014, at 8:11 AM, Steven Parkes <smpa...@esseff.org> wrote:

> github has commit hooks that will allow sending emails on commits

Catching up on email … looks like this is already working one way or another ...