Could not load zxing app link from Note 3 "Internet" browser

Jason Lee

Oct 24, 2013, 12:52:07 AM10/24/13
to zx...@googlegroups.com
I have developed a personal mobile app to load zxing Barcode Scanner app with this link:  http://zxing.appspot.com/scan
I tried it on Galaxy S3(Chrome and Internet browsers) and they works fine which leads me to the app. But then I tried it on Galaxy Note 3, it works on Chrome but not on Internet.
The Internet browser prompt the message:

"A web page you are viewing would like to scan a barcode with your camera phone. To do this, you need to install a new application.

If you are using an Android device, click here to install Barcode Scanner. Once installed, it will launch automatically the next time you click on the hyperlink which brought you here."

Any idea what has caused this issue?

Sean Owen

Oct 24, 2013, 6:01:07 AM10/24/13
to zx...@googlegroups.com
Not every app will integrate with Android to see if another app can handle the link. Chrome does, but other browsers might not. That's just how it goes I'm afraid.

Lachezar Dobrev

Oct 24, 2013, 8:08:12 AM10/24/13
to Jason Lee, zxing
This might be some Samsung weirdness.
It might be that the browser is not actually the stock Android
browser, but some modified version.

On a side note: I've noticed, that different Android devices handle
differently the invocation of the bar-code scanner from web pages.
There are (AFAIK) three methods of invoking the scanner:
1. A link in the page (<a href="...")
2. A form in the page (<form action="http://...">)
3. Javascript window.location.href = "..." and similar.

Some devices don't handle correctly all the variants.