can not install ZXING via PlayStore on Android 13

Nico

Mar 23, 2023, 3:28:14 AM3/23/23
to zxing
Hello,
I tried to install the App via PlayStore.

It's not possible: "The App is not available for your Device. It's build for an older Version of Android"

Is it possible to rebuild the App for newer Android versions?

Thanks
Nico

Sean Owen

Mar 23, 2023, 9:30:39 AM3/23/23
to Nico, zxing
I think it finally won't install on newer devices due to Play Store policy changes. Sorry. You can side load the .apk from github

Richard Bairwell

Apr 14, 2023, 8:06:52 AM4/14/23
to zxing
Hi Sean,

Zxing barcode scanner has been my chosen barcode scanner ever since I started using Android - it's a shame it is no longer available for install. Could you elaborate as to what Play Store policy changes are preventing updates/changes/installs?

Thanks,
Richard

Gil Collins

Nov 30, 2023, 3:03:58 PM11/30/23
to zxing
Hi Sean, first and foremost thank you for such a great project!

I've used this project as an apk in the past and it was fantastic but I can't install from the google store and you mentioned side loading from github but on your last release I only see two source assets (I downloaded it and they're just that source code).
Do you have the APK somewhere on here and I'm just not seeing it?
https://github.com/zxing/zxing

Sean Owen

Nov 30, 2023, 3:41:05 PM11/30/23
to Gil Collins, zxing
There haven't been new app builds in a long time. The last one is here: https://github.com/zxing/zxing/releases/tag/BS-4.7.8

Gil Collins

Nov 30, 2023, 3:52:15 PM11/30/23
to zxing
Ah ok that explains it I tried to build it myself as I build my own project (but I use Gradle) and when I did I received a lot of errors and after several tries just hoped someone had an apk I could use.  I no longer maintain my own project publicly but my spouse and I use it ourselves and this was a key part of it's use for us.  (I recently changed the target api to 23 and it was enough to install and function on my pixel 8 pro)

Thank you