Re: Minimum length of 128 and 2of5

Sean Owen

Aug 16, 2012, 3:15:43 PM8/16/12
to zx...@googlegroups.com
Because ITF lacks a checksum, looking for it is quite prone to false positives. So, yes only certain lengths are accepted and the shortest is 6. You can override this. However, I'd suggest that ITF is far from the best choice for this.
I don't believe there is a minimum length for Code 128. It will reject a 0-length barcode (i.e. only guard symbols). You'd have to provide an example of the 'limit' to look into it more.

thingomy

Aug 17, 2012, 9:07:53 AM8/17/12
to zx...@googlegroups.com
Yup, you are right -- I calculated the checksum wrong on the shorter 128 codes, so my bad.

Is there any shorter way of encoding 2 digits than this?

Thanks,
JR Peterson

Sean Owen

Aug 17, 2012, 11:52:23 AM8/17/12
to zx...@googlegroups.com
Code 128 has a subset C which is optimized for digits. It will encode two digits in one symbol. In fact you could get a similar result from subset A or B really. All of these are supported in the decoder. That would reduce your payload to 1 symbol, which must be the minimum.