Retiring C++, Objective C code

Sean Owen

Nov 23, 2013, 1:25:09 AM11/23/13
to zx...@googlegroups.com
Just repeating this so that I can make it a sticky post at the top, so it's seen --

Steven Parkes has heroically maintained the cpp/ and objc/ code for several years. This is a virtually impossible and un-fun task -- not only keeping up with java/ updates but trying to get the build working on a variety of platforms. Steven's gotten too busy to continue that, and firstly think deserves a pile of credit for all of this work to date.

I've not seen anyone else show a comparable level of interest and commitment in a sustained effort to maintain the port, and build for iOS. I'm also aware of the non-zero cost to hosting code going forward that is unlikely to have any significant support.

So I'm proposing simply 'retiring' the cpp/ and objc/ code. It will always live in the repo, and in releases up to and including the next one, but just won't be in releases after.

I'd also be as happy to hear that someone wanted to take the code and run with it separately -- the first folks to show serious effort in that direction can be "blessed" as the most-official C++ port project, sort of like zxing .NET.

Christoph Schulz

Nov 28, 2013, 3:56:46 AM11/28/13
to zx...@googlegroups.com
Steven Parkes has heroically maintained the cpp/ and objc/ code for several years. This is a virtually impossible and un-fun task -- not only keeping up with java/ updates but trying to get the build working on a variety of platforms. Steven's gotten too busy to continue that, and firstly think deserves a pile of credit for all of this work to date.
Thanks for all of your hard work Steven! :-)

So I'm proposing simply 'retiring' the cpp/ and objc/ code. It will always live in the repo, and in releases up to and including the next one, but just won't be in releases after.
Should be ok, as long as its not getting "unpatchable" in any way. We're using ZXing/C++ for node-dv which supports all major server/desktop platforms.
Syncing C++ from Java is another story and there is a good chance that this can be automated - it's mostly LL(*)-Search-and-Replace (=no semantic translation), as Steven did a really good job hiding language differences using policies and containers.

Regards,
Christoph

Steven Parkes

Nov 28, 2013, 8:58:57 AM11/28/13
to Christoph Schulz, zx...@googlegroups.com
Credit where credit is due: I just did a bunch of maintenance. Most of the heavy lifting had been done by other contributors before I started working with zxing.