how can i create qr code from 5 editTexts in android

Cyprian Kabia

Oct 14, 2015, 3:03:31 AM10/14/15
to zxing
hi, so far am able to generate a qr code from a single editText but i want to be able to generate from more than one editText and then have the qr scanner display the info in a kinda like a list similar to the qr code generator on the zxing website when the code is scanned. Any help will be appreciated. here's my sample code:

public void onClick(View v) {

switch (v.getId()) {
case R.id.button1:
EditText qrInput = (EditText) findViewById(R.id.qrInput);
String qrInputText = qrInput.getText().toString();
Log.v(LOG_TAG, qrInputText);

//Find screen size
WindowManager manager = (WindowManager) getSystemService(WINDOW_SERVICE);
Display display = manager.getDefaultDisplay();
Point point = new Point();
display.getSize(point);
int width = point.x;
int height = point.y;
int smallerDimension = width < height ? width : height;
smallerDimension = smallerDimension * 3/4;

//Encode with a QR Code image
QRCodeEncoder qrCodeEncoder = new QRCodeEncoder(qrInputText,
null,
Contents.Type.TEXT,
BarcodeFormat.QR_CODE.toString(),
smallerDimension);
try {
Bitmap bitmap = qrCodeEncoder.encodeAsBitmap();
ImageView myImage = (ImageView) findViewById(R.id.imageView1);
myImage.setImageBitmap(bitmap);

} catch (WriterException e) {
e.printStackTrace();
}

Lachezar Dobrev

Oct 14, 2015, 4:12:29 AM10/14/15
to Cyprian Kabia, zxing
  QR Code encodes a single text or binary stream.
  You'll probably have to find a way to structure the data that is to be encoded in a way that would allow a reader to understand the content.
  For textual information it is common to encode multi-line text that contains a single element on every line. That is if the content is to be read by humans. For machine processing structured content is a better fit, and even providing binary representation.

  An alternative is to host the data on a Web Server accessible by the target auditory, and encode an URL to that resource.

Lachezar Dobrev

Oct 15, 2015, 3:39:56 AM10/15/15
to Cyprian Kabia, zxing
  Please reply to the mailing list when on-topic.

  Concatenation of text elements is a basic Java operation. To make a string multi-line separate the lines with a new-line character ('\n')

  Example:
  <code>
    String line1 = "Name: " + editTextName.getText();
    String line2 = "Allergies: "  + editTextAllergies.getText();

    String combined = line1 + "\n" + line2;
  </code>

​  You can use the ZXing On-line QR Code​ Generator for playground:
  http://zxing.appspot.com/generator/

Thanks for the timely reply . I want to know how I can implement multi-line text that contains a single element on every line. In my Android app cause as it is , everything is on a single line and I think my users would appreciate a multi-line presentation than a single line.