ZXing packages as a part of commercial application

Mathew Bolbot

Oct 26, 2013, 6:15:01 AM10/26/13
to zx...@googlegroups.com
I have question about zxing licence. I'm creating commercial android project which is using few packages (four) of zxing as a library for my solution. I'm using this to get result after scanning barcode from product. I change one or two things, for example smaller area of scan and remove some included options. This app is created for internal use of small company.

Here is my question. Is this permitted to use zxing packages in my project? I've seen license and there is note about "do not just copy the code in apps" or "creating innovative solution" if we using source code. I really like to used it but i don't know if this is correct with letter of the law and copyrights?

Zrzut ekranu 2013-10-26 o 12.01.09.png

Avinash Ananth Narayan R

Sep 1, 2014, 7:05:15 AM9/1/14
to zx...@googlegroups.com
> Here is my question. Is this permitted to use zxing packages in my project?

It's using Apache2.0 license, so legally you can. However, to quote the wiki:

> A common way to comply, in a product that is delivered only in binary form and not source form (e.g. an application download) is to add a mention of the project, and link to its license (in our view, a link to the project website is ultimately also fine), in a "Help" or "About" screen of the application.

---

> I've seen license and there is note about "do not just copy the code in apps" or "creating innovative solution" if we using source code.

This just means that it should be based on the app; build should be built on it, not copy it. In plain words, don't create another barcode reader app, rather use it in an application which accepts input as a barcode also (i.e., zxing being a library of the app).

Avinash Ananth Narayan R

Sep 1, 2014, 7:08:16 AM9/1/14
to zx...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for the typo in the last paragraph, read as:

This just means that it should be based on the app; i.e., should be built on it, not copy it. In plain words, don't create another barcode reader app, rather use it in an application which accepts input as a barcode also (i.e., zxing being a library of the app).