Re: Inverted Datamatrix(please read before you go off haha)

Message has been deleted

Sean Owen

Apr 18, 2013, 4:35:21 AM4/18/13
to zx...@googlegroups.com
It is not different for Data matrix. The same idea applies, just flip all the pixels over at some stage in your pipeline.

Nathan Kellert

Apr 18, 2013, 4:50:38 AM4/18/13
to zx...@googlegroups.com
thanks sean.

I got this for ( int i = 0; i < size; i++) {
        result[i] = static_cast<unsigned char>(255 - result[i]);
    }

right before return result in ArrayRef<char> GreyscaleLuminanceSource::getMatrix() const

on iOS.

Not sure where to begin on android. Any ideas?

Sean Owen

Apr 18, 2013, 6:06:04 AM4/18/13
to zx...@googlegroups.com
There's already a setting to invert the image, using the camera hardware:

or you could look at reversing the luminance values in the same way right before the call to...

There are smarter ways too but these are the easiest by far.

Nathan Kellert

Apr 18, 2013, 6:22:38 AM4/18/13
to zx...@googlegroups.com
Tried to follow this. For some reason it didn't work. Im thinking my real issue is that I need to recompile my core information. I noticed you wrote most of this. Pretty impressive. I definitely appreciate you taking the time to help me. Perhaps I just get some rest. I think Im still stuck in ios mode and am just not seeing where Im going wrong. Either that or just pay someone haha.

https://code.google.com/p/zxing/issues/detail?id=952

Wayman, Jack A Jr COL USARMY (US)

Apr 18, 2013, 8:57:05 AM4/18/13
to na...@yoursitedesign.net, zx...@googlegroups.com
Nathan,
My comments may not be useful. I applaud and respect your work.

You're trying to read an inverse color scheme. However, your client's prior assumption that a black background requires an inverse color scheme is a false assumption.

The DataMatrix has a quiet zone one module wide on the outside edges. It is parrt of the symbology. It can't be seen if the image is on a white background. That's why most people don't know it's there. However, I've seen many instances of a standard color scheme (with a white quiet zone) on a black background. I've also seen an inverse color schemes on black and white backgrounds.

I don't know a good reason for using inverse color schemes. But they exist, so, there is a need for someone to solve the problem you are solving and I applaud your work. However, the problem could also be solved if people knew about the quiet zone. It would also help if they used the terms "standard" and "inverse" instead of "black on white" and "white on back", which pertain to ink application, not the color scheme.

Nevertheless, I applaud your work.

Respectfully,
Jake

Apr 19, 2013, 12:51:09 AM4/19/13
to zx...@googlegroups.com, na...@yoursitedesign.net
Well the technology that my client uses makes little tiny barcodes that are virtually indestructible. Problem is the material itself is black...so the print has to be white. So you are right...I need white on black. I actually got it working last night. Finally. Haha this has been difficult because I am simultaneous working with ios and android. So going back and forth has caused me to work a little less efficiently than normal.

Id really like to thank you guys for helping me out so much and pointing me in the right direction! Oh I also have a question...or really advice...Ill make a new question for that though.

By the way I went ahead and coded it the same way I did with the ios and actually inverted the pixels upon read fail. Worked like a charm.

Sean Owen

Apr 19, 2013, 4:18:34 AM4/19/13
to zx...@googlegroups.com, na...@yoursitedesign.net
Yes that sounds right. By the way Jake's suggestion was to print a white square on the black material, then print a black-on-white barcode on that white square.

Wayman, Jack A Jr COL USARMY (US)

Apr 19, 2013, 6:51:48 AM4/19/13
to sro...@gmail.com, zx...@googlegroups.com, na...@yoursitedesign.net
I've also seen the reverse where black ink prints on white print stock for a circular die-cut barcode label. They printed a black square larger than the die-cut circle but left a white square in the center large enough to print a standard color scheme in black ink.