Qrafter for iPhone is now available on the App Store

Kerem

Jan 29, 2011, 7:45:14 AM1/29/11
to zxing
Hi people,

I have been working on my QR Code scanner for some time and it is now
available on the App Store. It obviously uses ZXing as the QR Code
scanner API as backend and I would like to thank all ZXing developers
here who have put their hard work into open source community to create
this incredibly successful scanner API that has allowed me to create
Qrafter.

Your feedback is much appreciated as I want Qrafter to always be one
of the top QR Code scanners on iPhone.

You can get Qrafter from http://qrafter.com/get/

Ricardo1980

Jan 30, 2011, 9:56:47 AM1/30/11
to zxing
Very nice program. I really like its name :)
User interface is super usable and very well done, congratulations.

About info screen, one of the advantages of xzing is that can read qr
codes perfectly if it is not straight.

I guess you modified zxing in order to add your text, image, and
animations, Am I right?

By the way, where is the iAd?

zanker99

Jan 30, 2011, 11:50:26 AM1/30/11
to zxing
Hi Kerem,

Great, that looks like some good understanding gained in using Zxing
to its best on iphone platform. Could you share any hurdles and
possible solutions along your path towards completing this app.

Is the app targeted only towards iphone 4 ( 5 mp camera + autofocus )
or do previous iphones work as well with your code. If yes, how do you
solve the resolution/focus problem if you are supporting iphone 3 as
well.

Will help a lot.
Thanks,
Avi

Steven Parkes

Jan 30, 2011, 12:12:53 PM1/30/11
to zx...@googlegroups.com
> Is the app targeted only towards iphone 4 ( 5 mp camera + autofocus )
> or do previous iphones work as well with your code. If yes, how do you
> solve the resolution/focus problem if you are supporting iphone 3 as
> well.

zxing on qr codes has always worked pretty well for me, even on fixed-focus cameras like my old 3 that I use for testing. I checked qrafter and it's the same: scanning the code on Kerem's itunes web page is essentially instantaneous on both my 4 and my old 3. zxing won't work on pre-iOS4 iOS releases, but it seems to work pretty well for qr codes even on fixed-focus/non-video iPhone 3s.

This all caveated by conditions, of course. In different lighting conditions and with source types, i.e., emitting, e.g., screens, vs reflecting, e.g., paper, I don't know. I've never had any problem, but I haven't tried to do a comprehensive environmental test.

One small comment, Kerem: I wouldn't use a reverse video (black-white swap) image for the icon.

Kerem

Jan 31, 2011, 12:19:55 AM1/31/11
to zxing
Hi again,

Thank you all for your comments.

Ricardo, I created another overlay on top of ZXing's overlay view to
modify it, so that I won't have any troubles updating to newer
versions of the widget.

iAd is only effective in US, UK, France and Germany AFAIK, so in other
countries, there are no ads displayed.

zanker99, Steven has explained it very good. ZXing is very good on all
phones, but older phones like my 3G need bigger QR Codes because of
the lack of autofocus. So I cannot scan any codes smaller than 4 or 5
cm per side, but that's not something ZXing or any other software can
do anything for. Other than that, it works instantaneously even on the
iPhone 3G.

Steven, thanks for the icon comment. I didn't think anyone would try
to scan the icon (and fail obviously), so I wanted it to blend in more
with the iPhone platform. I assume you said that because people would
try to scan it and fail, right?

Best regards and thanks to you all again for your feedback.

Kerem

Steven Parkes

Jan 31, 2011, 12:45:50 AM1/31/11
to zx...@googlegroups.com
> I assume you said that because people would
> try to scan it and fail, right?

Partly because it looks wrong. Partly because people might try to scan it.

Ricardo1980

Jan 31, 2011, 8:50:02 AM1/31/11
to zxing
What does "a reverse video (black-white swap) image for the icon"
exactly mean? I don't see any strange image in this program.

About iAd: I'm in Spain and I don't see any ad, I didn't know iAd is
only available in a few countries.
Can I ask if using iAd (in only a few countries) makes money?
I read iAd makes more money than AdMob. Is it possible to use both of
them? iAd if available, otherwise AdMob. Do you know any example?

Thanks a lot.

Kerem

Jan 31, 2011, 11:21:27 AM1/31/11
to zxing
> What does "a reverse video (black-white swap) image for the icon"
> exactly mean? I don't see any strange image in this program.

Well, the colors are reversed on the icon of Qrafter. The foreground
of the QR Code on the icon is white and the background is blue.
Foreground color of a QR Code should always be darker than background,
or it will not be able to be scanned. I don't think it looks wrong
though and I don't think I will benefit from people scanning it as it
only contains the text "QRAFTER".

> About iAd: I'm in Spain and I don't see any ad, I didn't know iAd is
> only available in a few countries.
> Can I ask if using iAd (in only a few countries) makes  money?
> I read iAd makes more money than AdMob. Is it possible to use both of
> them? iAd if available, otherwise AdMob. Do you know any example?

It really did not make money these 2 days, but Qrafter is not my
primary source of income, so I actually didn't care much for the time
being. :) I thought about adding AdMob besides iAd, but AdMob closes
Qrafter when clicked (I saw that only in real world examples, did not
search if it can be opened in another view) so I didn't like that.

Kerem