Scanning 128 B codes using zxing

mayank gupta

Jul 19, 2013, 11:40:15 AM7/19/13
to zx...@googlegroups.com, Brenton Webster
Hi Zxing folks,

We are developing an iOS application that scans a QR code or a 128B coded Barcode. For this, we are using the Xamarin version of zxing - from https://github.com/Redth/ZXing.Net.Mobile. Now, while using this, it works fine for our QR codes, but does not really work for our barcodes, that are in 128 B format.
For the barcode format, we are specifying - QR code (QR_CODE) and ALL_1D from the enum file - https://github.com/Redth/ZXing.Net.Mobile/blob/master/src/ZXing.Net/BarcodeFormat.cs. I checked that ALL_1D includes CODE_128, but still we cannot scan our 128B codes.
Does someone know about this issue? Are 128B QR codes not supported? Any advice on what we can do to resolve this?
(Tried on iPad mini and Ipod touch)

Thanks!

zxingnet

Jul 19, 2013, 12:51:38 PM7/19/13
to zx...@googlegroups.com, Brenton Webster
Please post a sample image of one of your 128B barcodes which doesn't work but should.

mayank gupta

Jul 21, 2013, 5:01:16 AM7/21/13
to zx...@googlegroups.com, Brenton Webster
SampleBarcode.png

mayank gupta

Jul 21, 2013, 5:01:47 AM7/21/13
to zx...@googlegroups.com, Brenton Webster
Just posted a sample 128B bar code that we want to scan.
Thanks!

Steven Parkes

Jul 21, 2013, 10:12:14 AM7/21/13
to mayank gupta, zx...@googlegroups.com, Brenton Webster
This scans with both the online Java decoder and using the C++/iOS sample apps.

I don't know what version of ZXing Xamarin uses. The C++ 1D support got a significant upgrade earlier this year; perhaps they haven't upgraded to that.
> --
>
> ---

zxingnet

Jul 21, 2013, 4:04:49 PM7/21/13
to zx...@googlegroups.com, Brenton Webster
ZXing.Net.Mobile is based upon ZXing.Net (the C# port). ZXing.Net.Mobile is nearly up-to-date. Only the changes of the last few weeks are not included.

I think the solution in your case is the decoding hint TRY_HARDER which should be set to true (MobileBarcodeScanningOptions.TryHarder = true). If it is set the barcode is automatically rotated by 90 degrees.

mayank gupta

Jul 22, 2013, 4:51:27 AM7/22/13
to zxingnet, zx...@googlegroups.com, Brenton Webster
Thanks guys, will try the TRY_HARDER option and update.

--

---

mayank

mayank gupta

Jul 25, 2013, 11:22:11 AM7/25/13
to zxingnet, zx...@googlegroups.com, Brenton Webster
Mike, I tried the Try_Harder option, but even that doesn't scan the code. Anything else i can try?

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 1:34 AM, zxingnet <mik...@gmail.com> wrote:
--

---

mayank

Raica Cristi

Apr 8, 2014, 10:24:03 AM4/8/14
to zx...@googlegroups.com, zxingnet, Brenton Webster, mayan...@gmail.com
Hello Everybody,
I have found this barcode 128 generated on this website http://www.myassettag.com/Custom-Asset-Tags/Sequential-Barcode/SKU-AT-3049P-B.aspx , but can't find a scanner that will be able to scan it anyone has a ideea of why is this happening, or a solution to make it work with zxing for IOS?

Cristi.

Bas Vijfwinkel

Apr 9, 2014, 3:09:00 AM4/9/14
to zx...@googlegroups.com, zxingnet, Brenton Webster, mayan...@gmail.com
When comparing the output from an other code-128 barcode generator, it seems that the 'barcode 128' barcode is not the same as the standard code-128 barcode.
It looks like they some format of their own.
Also, code-128 can contain both numerical and alfabetical data.
This 'code-128' type can only contain numbers.

Sean Owen

Apr 9, 2014, 6:29:00 AM4/9/14
to zx...@googlegroups.com, zxingnet, Brenton Webster, mayan...@gmail.com
Yeah, try this encoding in Code 128:

It looks different, but this scans. I suspect the former is not quite doing something right.

Raica Cristi

Apr 9, 2014, 10:25:37 AM4/9/14
to zx...@googlegroups.com, zxingnet, Brenton Webster, mayan...@gmail.com
Yes, thanks, this one scans instantaneously.
I talked to their service, and they kept sending me to buy industrial devices in order to scan the codes generated from them. They kept avoiding to tell me if there is an existing app that can scan their 128 barcodes, which are by default the first option on every barcode product available to buy. And people rarely know to change that option to code 39 to have a scanable code.

Thank you.

Sean Owen

Apr 9, 2014, 4:31:19 PM4/9/14
to zx...@googlegroups.com, zxingnet, Brenton Webster, mayan...@gmail.com
I don't think anyone's suggesting using Code 39. Code 128 scans fine. The generator you pointed to doesn't seem to generate a valid barcode, so use one that does.