Fwd: We Need to Normalize Reusable Containers

Daniela Ochoa Gonzalez

May 20, 2023, 8:45:24 PM5/20/23
to zw...@googlegroups.com

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Zero-Waste Chef <zerowa...@substack.com>
Date: Fri, May 19, 2023 at 12:12 PM
Subject: We Need to Normalize Reusable Containers
To: <danielaoch...@gmail.com>

BYO container initiatives in the US  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌
Open in app or online

We Need to Normalize Reusable Containers

BYO container initiatives in the US

May 19

Share

Americans will spend a record near $1 trillion at restaurants this year. A large portion of those orders will be takeout served in the kind of throwaway packaging that dominates plastic pollution in the oceans.

We need a multi-pronged approach to address this waste. Regulation of single-use cups and to-go containers would foster swift and sweeping change. And laws are coming into effect (more on that later). But individuals can also take action by refusing single-use containers and helping to normalize BYO.

Some of the problems with takeout containers

I won’t spend too much time on this… Most to-go containers are made of plastic, which is typically made of fossil fuel. Plastic exacerbates the climate crisis and pollutes all along its lifecycle, from the extraction of raw materials, to refining the petrochemicals, to manufacture, to a short use and finally, to disposal, all too often in a landfill, incinerator or ocean, sometimes with a layover at a recycling facility.

In addition to polluting the environment, plastic pollutes us:

One solution (of many): BYO containers

Even if a take-out restaurant happens to serve its food in cardboard containers free of BPAs, phthalates or PFAS, single-use containers waste precious resources. And besides, who has the time or lab equipment at home to sort this out? Make life simple; bring your own reusable containers. Not all restaurants and cafés allow this but many do. The trick is to find those businesses.

The grassroots initiative US Reduces aims to make that search easier. This fledgling network consists of small neighborhood groups that connect BYO-friendly businesses with consumers who want their orders filled in their own reusable containers rather than throwaways.

Each local group places its BYO Reduces sticker in the windows of these businesses. See this beacon and you know you can hand over a container for your order without feeling awkward and with no questions asked aside from “How may I help you?”

So far, we have 11 groups on the US Reduces map with more groups launching.

Share

In 2020, I met Tina Soldovieri, the founder of Roncy Reduces in Toronto, which soon expanded into Canada Reduces. In 2021, I launched a similar Reduces group here in Silicon Valley, shared info about that online, people asked me how to start a group, groups popped up here and there and this year, US Reduces launched. (Thank you Yayoi Koizumi for driving the US Reduces project!)

Sample customizable BYO Reduces designs courtesy of NYC Reduces and Clean Air Baltimore
“Please sir, I want some more in my reusable bowl.”

Want to start a group of your own?

US Reduces wants your city on the map! Start a local group and you’ll meet kindred spirits while building an in-person, face-to-face community. To create a group:

  • Go here for a guide that explains how to start. Essentially, you’ll:

    • 1) Connect with neighbors.

    • 2) With stickers in hand, contact businesses.

    • 3) Spread the word.

  • Fill out this form to sign up for the US Reduces newsletter and to receive meeting notifications. (Our next meeting is June 6th, 4pm ET/6pm CT/7pm PT).

  • Once your group has started, get on the US Reduces map.

Share Zero-Waste Chef

Oregon to reduce plastic food containers

Earlier this month, Oregon Governor Tina Kotek signed two bills into law that will reduce single-use plastic food packaging in the state.

SB543 prohibits restaurants from serving food and drinks in polystyrene. The law also bans the intentional addition of PFAS to food containers. (Because of its prevalence, PFAS sometimes appears in materials that haven’t been treated with it.) SB543 goes into effect on January 1st, 2025. Businesses that produce, sell or distribute polystyrene or PFAS-treated food packaging will pay fines of $500 per day. Vendors that use these materials will pay $100 per day.

The second law, SB545, requires the Oregon Health Authority to update codes in order to allow customers to bring their own food containers to businesses to fill. Together, these laws will a) ban toxic, polluting stuff and b) promote reusable containers, which can save businesses money, especially those that currently rely on cheap polystyrene. This law goes into effect on June 30th, 2024.

Oregon is the ninth state to ban polystyrene food packaging and the 12th to ban PFAS in food packaging. And more bills are in the works. The US federal Break Free From Plastic Pollution Act would reduce single-use plastic, shift the onus onto producers to clean up their mess, prevent pollution and more. And globally, the UN Global Plastics Treaty is currently under negotiation. (Go here to urge the US government to take a stronger stance on this treaty.)

Change is happening. We can all raise a reusable glass to that.

Leave a comment

Upcoming events

My free May sourdough starter class is now full. If you’d like to receive a notification of the next sourdough starter class, follow me on Eventbrite. I teach this free class every couple of months and the 200 spots consistently fill up.

June 22nd, 4pm PT Kombucha for the Climate, an online donate-what-you-feel fundraising workshop. Learn how to brew kombucha in this online class and raise money for climate action! Go here to learn more.

Kombucha for the climate

Zero-Waste Chef is free today. But if you enjoyed this post, you can tell Zero-Waste Chef that their writing is valuable by pledging a future subscription. You won't be charged unless they enable payments.

Pledge your support

Like
Comment
Restack

© 2023 Anne-Marie Bonneau
548 Market Street PMB 72296, San Francisco, CA 94104
Unsubscribe

Start writing