The future of zunzun

Henry

Sep 23, 2019, 6:53:08 AM9/23/19
to Zunzun.com discussion group
Are there plans for zunzun to have a future / longevity? Or is it likely to disappear at some point, once the owner no longer desires/is able to run it?

It would be sad to see this great tool disappear.

zunzun.com

Sep 23, 2019, 7:41:14 AM9/23/19
to Zunzun.com discussion group
This actually happened at the end of 2012 when I had a severe stroke in the visual center of the brain, such that my left field of view was destroyed and I could not run and maintain the site. Both of my retinas were damaged by what physicians refer to as "cotton wool spots" such that I can only see clearly from a portion of my right eye. I have since become somewhat accustomed to this and restarted the site - this time open sourcing the entire site code for the very reason that you mention.

The web site runs on Google Compute Engine at a cost of approximately US $75 per month, and upon my death or incapacitation those payments to Google would stop. For this reason I suggest that you download the site's source code using the links at the bottom of every page on the site, this is why I have provided them.

James

henry milewski

Sep 26, 2019, 7:17:09 AM9/26/19
to zunzun_...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for this information. I hope somebody can take it over.

Regarding the site's source code, are all features - including function finder - available via this route? I though function finder is not available that way.

zunzun.com

Sep 26, 2019, 9:00:13 AM9/26/19
to Zunzun.com discussion group
A) The complete web site source code that is currently running online is available at the source code link on the site.

B) Somebody who?

James

henry milewski

Sep 26, 2019, 10:18:53 AM9/26/19
to zunzun_...@googlegroups.com
B) Nobody in mind. Just when you pass on it would be good if somebody could take over so such a good resource is not lost.
A) I thought this came up on the discussion group previously and the 'function finder' feature was not available - this is the most useful thing for me personally.

zunzun.com

Sep 26, 2019, 1:13:29 PM9/26/19
to Zunzun.com discussion group
I completely agree. Such a person would need to to have some understanding of Linux system and web server administration to maintain the rather automated server operations, and be willing to pay the Google Compute Engine server fees. Note that since the site is entirely open source, anyone could do this right now. I'm in my late 50's and my family is long-lived, true, but as it stands right now the site dies with me.

James

On Thursday, September 26, 2019 at 9:18:53 AM UTC-5, Henry wrote:
...when you pass on it would be good if somebody could take over so such a good resource is not lost.

Alex

Sep 27, 2019, 7:42:06 AM9/27/19
to Zunzun.com discussion group
Hello,

I am going to take advantage of this conversation and the conversation topic you to sincerely thank you, James.
As many people here, I spent a lot of time looking for a tool as ZunZun without any success, and when I read the page was down because of your health issues I really did not think the page was going to return. But I am really grateful you reemerge it and, now that you tell us a little bit more about the story, I sincerely admire you more and more.

I am sure I am not the only one who feels thankful, but even if the page won't be sustained without you, you should know you probably will ever know how many people you helped, and how lucky we feel because the page had such a strong-willed author.

I could not maintain the page, but I will make sure to learn how to use the fiiting source code, so more people can meet the magic of ZunZun in the future.

Congrats! And just for you to know, I heard about ZunZun because of my assessor, who turns out to be a big astrophysicist who loves the page and has used it for years.

Just one question, if someone of us could ever pay for the price of the page, ¿How could we make it?

Thank you so much!
Alex

zunzun.com

Sep 27, 2019, 7:56:27 AM9/27/19
to Zunzun.com discussion group
Thank you for your kind words. Instructions for installing and running the site source code are included in the README file with the source code itself. The site currently runs on a 4-core Google Compute Engine server and if I could afford the expense I would use one of their 32-core servers, but the four cores are sufficient for most work - though when school is in session around the world there are often multiple simultaneous users. The site code will automatically use all available server cores to run computations and draw graphs in parallel.

James