Status of Zumastor project

pankakekid

Nov 26, 2010, 9:16:53 AM11/26/10
to Zumastor
Greetings Zumastor devs,
Given that spambots seem to have taken hold of this group, i'm not
sure this is the best place to ask this question, but here goes: What
is the status of the Zumastor project? It seems that most heavy
development activity occurred 2.5 years ago - Has it been patched/
tested for newer kernels (2.6.3x)? Has the project been superseded by
some other work? I'm very interested in this but there seems to be an
awful lot of radio silence of late. Thank you for you help!
DW

Stephane Chazelas

Nov 26, 2010, 11:55:50 AM11/26/10
to pankakekid, Zumastor
2010-11-26 06:16:53 -0800, pankakekid:
[...]

I'm not a zumastor developer, but what I understand is that
zumastor/ddsnap has been put on hold while Daniel Phillips was
developing Tux3 (whose development seems to also be on hold).

There was a port of ddsnap to kernel space that was further
extended and seems to still be maintained by Mikulas Patocka
(http://people.redhat.com/mpatocka/patches/kernel/new-snapshots/)

There's also https://github.com/mcpacino/dm-snap-mv

See
http://groups.google.com/group/fa.linux.kernel/browse_thread/thread/228b6b8e3be9d8b/7dc7529b906f575f#7dc7529b906f575f

that confirms that Daniel Phillips is still around

Otherwise, one could also consider btrfs or zfs as alternatives.

--
Stephane