Deactivating mod_wires not recommended (for the time beeing)

Mikael Karlsson

Jul 12, 2020, 5:33:00 PM7/12/20
to Zotonic users
Hi,

This is just an observation.

When using the admin interface and checking the modules page I noticed that mod_wires was active but marked as DEPRECATED. I understand it right it is going to be replaced with a "message bus".
So I thought I just could deactivate it. Now to my suprise the activate/deactivate buttons on the same page disappeared when I did that and so I could not activate it nor any other module again. An irreversible change :-) .

I tried adding the line
{install_modules, [mod_wires]},
to the zotonic_site.config file without fixing the problem.

Updating the database record for mod_wires module and activating it again solved the problem:
update myschema.module set is_active = true where name = 'mod_wires'

I guess this is work in progress and that the buttons in the admin interface will be using the new way of wiring and so this may not be an issue, but maybe mod_wires module should be locked in some way until done?

Marc Worrell

Jul 14, 2020, 3:55:14 AM7/14/20
to 'Marc Worrell' via Zotonic users

> On 12 Jul 2020, at 23:33, Mikael Karlsson <karls...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> This is just an observation.
>
> When using the admin interface and checking the modules page I noticed that mod_wires was active but marked as DEPRECATED. I understand it right it is going to be replaced with a "message bus".
> So I thought I just could deactivate it. Now to my suprise the activate/deactivate buttons on the same page disappeared when I did that and so I could not activate it nor any other module again. An irreversible change :-) .

Yes, I think we should remove the “deprecated” for now.

And maybe add some warnings like “disabling this will also disable that”.
That is a good warning in general.

> I tried adding the line
> {install_modules, [mod_wires]},
> to the zotonic_site.config file without fixing the problem.
>
> Updating the database record for mod_wires module and activating it again solved the problem:
> update myschema.module set is_active = true where name = ‘mod_wires'

You can always (in the erlang shell) do:

z_module_manager:activate(mod_wires, z:c(yoursite)).

Then the module will be activated again.

> I guess this is work in progress and that the buttons in the admin interface will be using the new way of wiring and so this may not be an issue, but maybe mod_wires module should be locked in some way until done?

Agree.

Cheers, Marc