Running Zotonic without Postgres

Kirill Sysoev

Mar 13, 2018, 7:44:01 AM3/13/18
to Zotonic developers
Hi

I would like to use Zotonic as a framework only.
Is there an easy way to run site on Zotonic without Postgres installed on the system?

I see DB check hardcoded into install_check, but maybe there is a hidden silver bullet to get rid of that? :))

Regards,
Kirill

Marc Worrell

Mar 13, 2018, 7:46:29 AM3/13/18
to zotonic-d...@googlegroups.com
Yes.

You can check the zotonic_status site config:

 %% This site doesn't use a database connection
 {dbdatabase, none},

This disables the database for the given site.
Be careful that a lot of modules do need database support.

Cheers, Marc

--

---

Kirill Sysoev

Mar 13, 2018, 11:35:35 AM3/13/18
to Zotonic developers
Thanks, Marc!

This is exactly what I was looking for.

Regards,

Kirill Sysoev

Mar 16, 2018, 4:04:28 AM3/16/18
to Zotonic developers
Marc,

While playing with DBless Zotonic and decided to get rid of mod_admin, it appeared that mod_translation dependent on mod_admin.
This dependence looks weak enough:
- 2 records definitions in admin_menu.hrl
- "language_list" variable stored in db (https://github.com/zotonic/zotonic/pull/1888)

Is there any special reason in this dependence?
Since Zotonic getting more modular, could it be good to decouple it?

Regards,
Kirill

Marc Worrell

Mar 16, 2018, 5:56:52 AM3/16/18