Zotero quizzes to test understanding

Kelvin

Sep 11, 2011, 8:11:59 PM9/11/11
to Zotero Evangelists
Hello everyone,

I am drawing up the research protocols for a project where we will be
assessing student responses to receiving Zotero training to help them
with their problem based learning coursework.

As part of the protocol, I need to draw up a quiz to test students'
understanding in using Zotero after receiving training. The test will
need to be multiple choice due to the online-survey format we will be
using. Also, due to the large amount of students, test exercises that
require manual marking are not feasible.

Does anyone know if this sort of of quiz is already out there? I would
greatly appreciate any advice on this matter.

Kelvin

Ann Viera

Sep 12, 2011, 2:02:14 PM9/12/11
to zotero-ev...@googlegroups.com
You might try MERLOT and search for quizes or quiz or zotero

http://www.merlot.org/merlot/index.htm

Ann Viera
Pendergrass Library

Stephen Ewen

Sep 17, 2011, 3:57:53 AM9/17/11
to zotero-ev...@googlegroups.com
I'm unaware of any quiz, but am interjecting here to say that, in my
experience teaching computer skills, paper quizzes are not very useful.
Think "lab test," sort of like many of us experienced in science lab.
Set up a Zotero station, with a list of tasks for the student to
complete in a reasonably comfortable time frame. Monitor each student's
accomplishment of the task via a shared desktop (don't stand over them
to watch, see "Hawthorne Effect"). You might come up with a list of
topics for them to research. Their task is to then come up with, say,
three sources on the topic, collect them into Zotero, read each source
and summarize each in the Zotero notes function, and write a cited
paragraph in Word or OOo they must email to you or put on a network
drive. Between students, quickly delete the database so things are fresh.

Stephen Ewen, M.Ed.

Guttorm Flatabø

Sep 20, 2011, 2:52:33 PM9/20/11
to zotero-ev...@googlegroups.com
Let me add that instead of using a shared desktop I guess you could record the desktop and watch through it later.

Kelvin Lou

Sep 20, 2011, 4:20:13 PM9/20/11
to zotero-ev...@googlegroups.com

Thank you for your replies everyone. I will bring this up with my group.