Training materials

_david_c

Sep 7, 2011, 3:42:58 AM9/7/11
to Zotero Evangelists
Does anyone have a 'checklist' or other similar document outlining
what they would discuss in a 30-minute training session?

Thanks

_david_c

Sep 7, 2011, 9:37:46 AM9/7/11
to Zotero Evangelists
Many thanks to Brea from AWHON for her helpful response!

Brea Samuel

Sep 7, 2011, 9:46:27 AM9/7/11
to zotero-ev...@googlegroups.com
Hello David,
At AWHONN, we created a Powerpoint and presented a 1-hour training on Zotero to our staff.

We spent the majority of time reviewing the icons in the Zotero pane. We will have a follow-up training to show the use of MS Word and incorporating citations and biliographies.

We created the Powerpoint from the Zotero Quick Start Guide and the book  Zotero: A Guide for Librarians, Researchers and Educators by Jason Puckett.

I have attached the PPT and document explaining the icons; they may be helpful for your checklist.

Feel free to adapt.

Thank you,
Brea N. Onokpise, MPH, CHES
Research Project Coordinator
Association of Women's Health,
Obstetric & Neonatal Nurses (AWHONN)
2000 L Street, N.W., Suite 740
Washington, D.C.  20036
Phone: 202-261-2431
Fax: 202-728-0575
Email: bono...@awhonn.org

Zotero Intro.pptx
Zotero Pane Icons.docx

trevor.j...@gmail.com

Sep 7, 2011, 10:00:33 AM9/7/11
to Zotero Evangelists
A while back I put together these pages of resources for presenting
about Zotero. So you might be interested in reviewing them.
http://www.zotero.org/support/present

IMHO, I would give very different 30 minute demos depending on the
audience. The tool has tons of features which are relevant to
different extents in different use situations. So you might find that
giving a quick read to this page on use cases will help clarify what
features you want to focus on for your audience. http://www.zotero.org/support/use_cases

On Sep 7, 9:46 am, Brea Samuel <bsamue...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello David,
> At AWHONN, we created a Powerpoint and presented a 1-hour training on Zotero
> to our staff.
>
> We spent the majority of time reviewing the icons in the Zotero pane. We
> will have a follow-up training to show the use of MS Word and incorporating
> citations and biliographies.
>
> We created the Powerpoint from the Zotero Quick Start Guide and the
> book  *Zotero:
> A Guide for Librarians, Researchers and Educators* by Jason Puckett.
>
> I have attached the PPT and document explaining the icons; they may
> be helpful for your checklist.
>
> Feel free to adapt.
>
> Thank you,
> Brea N. Onokpise, MPH, CHES
> Research Project Coordinator
> Association of Women's Health,
> Obstetric & Neonatal Nurses (AWHONN)
> 2000 L Street, N.W., Suite 740
> Washington, D.C.  20036
> Phone: 202-261-2431
> Fax: 202-728-0575
> Email: bonokp...@awhonn.org
>

> On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 3:42 AM, _david_c <davecl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Does anyone have a 'checklist' or other similar document outlining
> > what they would discuss in a 30-minute training session?
>
> > Thanks
>
> > --
>

>  Zotero Intro.pptx
> 1372KViewDownload
>
>  Zotero Pane Icons.docx
> 71KViewDownload

MarieS

Sep 7, 2011, 4:36:47 PM9/7/11
to Zotero Evangelists
Hi David,

I use my Zotero LibGuide as the "handout" for all of my Zotero
workshops: http://purchase.libguides.com/zotero. This is also the
first resource that we save to Zotero, so that participants can
reference the LibGuide later on.

I use the sequencing of the tabs across the top as my roadmap so that
I make sure to cover each topic, which can be extremely challenging
when you only have 30 minutes.

I hope this information helps. Please feel free to get in touch if
you have any questions or suggestions. Thanks!

best, Marie

Marie Sciangula, MLIS | Purchase College, SUNY
Assistant Director of Instructional Technology
Teaching, Learning, and Technology Center
about.me/msciangula