Resolve conflicts: screenshot?

Jason Puckett

Nov 15, 2010, 2:46:11 PM11/15/10
to zotero-ev...@googlegroups.com
Hi, folks --

I'm trying to document the "resolve conflicts" feature in synchronization, but I'm not sure how to get it to occur on my own machine. Does anyone have a screenshot of that dialog, or failing that, suggestions for how I can trigger a sync conflict so I can get a shot of it? I'm thinking I'd have to open Zotero on two computers, prevent them from syncing, make changes to a reference, and then re-sync... right?

Thanks,
Jason

--
Jason Puckett
Librarian for Communication and Educational Technologies

Avram Lyon

Nov 15, 2010, 3:38:44 PM11/15/10
to zotero-ev...@googlegroups.com
If an item (or a note) is modified on multiple computers, a sync
conflict will be triggered. Think of it like this-- when you go to
sync, if you have changes for an item that need to go to the central
server, and the central server has changes for that item to send to
you, then Zotero has a sync conflict. Even if automatic syncing is on,
simultaneous editing of a single item will almost certainly generate
conflicts.

Also note that changes to collections (items added or removed in
multiple collections) also cause conflicts. Zotero does not attempt to
resolve them in the same way-- it just cancels removals and applies
all additions for affected collections.

Just for the sake of being sure you understand the way they happen and
how to resolve them (and in your case, explain them), you should
definitely trigger some yourself.

Avram

2010/11/15 Jason Puckett <lib...@langate.gsu.edu>:

Jason Puckett

Nov 15, 2010, 4:00:07 PM11/15/10
to zotero-ev...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Avram. I roughly understood what triggers them, but I appreciate the clearer explanation. I'll just need to haul out a laptop and sabotage my test library.

Jason