Out of memory errors on Windows

Emiliano Heyns

Sep 1, 2021, 12:25:38 AM9/1/21
to zotero-dev
I have a BBT user who has a somewhat large library (but not excessively so I'd say, I test with larger) that is frequently getting out of memory errors. I have seen some reports here and on the forum where this was tied to Windows, and this user is indeed on Windows. Is this still a factor? Does FF have tools (built-in or otherwise) to monitor memory usage? I want to see if it could be a memory leak.

Dan Stillman

Sep 2, 2021, 12:45:01 AM9/2/21
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
You can create a boolean pref extensions.zotero.debug.memoryInfo and set
it to true, and then when you reopen the prefs there'll be a Memory Info
button at the bottom of the Advanced preferences that shows the Firefox
about:memory view.

(It's also possible to connect from the devtools of a Firefox 60 ESR
build to a Zotero source build with the -debugger flag [1] and use the
Memory tab, but I think that's mostly just a prettier view of the same
data, and considerably harder to set up.)

We fixed a pretty significant memory leak that affected large imports or
long sessions in 5.0.96.3, so you should make sure they're running that.

Windows would only be relevant because we're still using a 32-bit build
there, with a 3 GB memory limit. But obviously Zotero generally
shouldn't be using 3 GB to begin with.

- Dan

[1]
https://www.zotero.org/support/dev/client_coding/building_the_standalone_client

Emiliano Heyns

Sep 4, 2021, 5:47:55 PM9/4/21
to zotero-dev
It looks like BBT has a memory leak somewhere. Other than trying to pinpoint it with timed logs of the resident memory in use, any other tips on tracking down leaks?