How does ZOTERO handle duplicates added via Browser-Add-On?

Monika Renate Barget

Oct 26, 2020, 7:19:22 AM10/26/20
to zotero-dev
Dear all,

I have written a Python script that automates my ZOTERO browser add-on in a personalised Google Chrome profile and allows me to add search results from WORLDCAT to a group library.

Unfortunately, I will have to run several queries because of the set-up of the search engine, and this will mean that a considerable number of duplicates will be retrieved. What happens if my script tries adding an item from the very same catalogue (WORLDCAT) to a group library that already exists? Does ZOTERO spot it's the same and ignores the import?

That would be good to know before I go ahead. If duplicates are added regardless, I might need to import my search results to independent sub-folders first and find a way to compare them efficiently. Or is there a way to automate the ZOTERO duplicate finder with PyZOTERO?

All suggestions are most welcome.

Thank you very much, Monika

adamsmith

Oct 28, 2020, 9:32:13 AM10/28/20
to zotero-dev
Zotero does not do any check on duplicates before importing, no. I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think duplicate detection is accessible via the API (and thus pyZotero), no. If you're using Worldcat, though, you could consider just using the ISBN for duplicate checks?

Mona Barget

Oct 28, 2020, 11:57:21 AM10/28/20
to 'John Lees-Miller' via zotero-dev
Dear Adam, thanks for your response. The stuff I am importing does not have an ISSN or ISBN because it's all been printed before 1800. So importing files to separate folders and merging them later might work best.

Thanks again, Monika

Monika Barget
Breslauer Straße 9
D-65203 Wiesbaden