Scaffold tests - text in MathJax elements is unexpectedly missing

Alex T.

Jul 14, 2024, 11:03:54 AM (2 days ago) Jul 14
to zotero-dev
Hello everyone,

While working on https://github.com/zotero/translators/pull/3337 I noticed some existing tests are failing and the delta indicates some text is missing.

Original pages didn't seem to change and when running the doWeb() function manually from the Scaffold's Browser tab, it works ok. Only the Tests tab-run ones fail. Details and repro instructions below. This is both on Z6 and the latest release of Z7. I haven't found any issues with "mathjax" in the main Zotero repo, or the connector one, so putting it up here to clarify.

Any ideas why this is happening and what could be done to fix it?

To reproduce:
1) Start Scaffold, open the "ePrint IACR" translator.
2) On the Tests tab, run the second test in the list, the one with the following URL: https://eprint.iacr.org/2011/566.
3) Observe a test failure with a diff posted below for the abstractNote field.
4) Open the same URL in the Browser tab and run the doWeb() function manually. Observe that the abstractNote text now matches the one the test expects, i.e., the extraction works as expected (or at least the same way it did previously).

Test result diff:
 -   "abstractNote": "We show that homomorphic evaluation of (wide enough) arithmetic circuits can be accomplished with only polylogarithmic overhead. Namely, we present a construction of fully homomorphic encryption (FHE) schemes that for security parameter \\secparam can evaluate any width-Ω(\\secparam) circuit with t gates in time t⋅polylog(\\secparam).\n\nTo get low overhead, we use the recent batch homomorphic evaluation techniques of Smart-Vercauteren and Brakerski-Gentry-Vaikuntanathan, who showed that homomorphic operations can be applied to \"packed\" ciphertexts that encrypt vectors of plaintext elements. In this work, we introduce permuting/routing techniques to move plaintext elements across\nthese vectors efficiently. Hence, we are able to implement general arithmetic circuit in a batched fashion without ever needing to \"unpack\" the plaintext vectors.\n\nWe also introduce some other optimizations that can speed up homomorphic evaluation in certain cases. For example, we show how to use the Frobenius map to raise plaintext elements to powers of~p at the \"cost\" of a linear operation."
         +   "abstractNote": "We show that homomorphic evaluation of (wide enough) arithmetic circuits can be accomplished with only polylogarithmic overhead. Namely, we present a construction of fully homomorphic encryption (FHE) schemes that for security parameter can evaluate any width- circuit with gates in time .\n\nTo get low overhead, we use the recent batch homomorphic evaluation techniques of Smart-Vercauteren and Brakerski-Gentry-Vaikuntanathan, who showed that homomorphic operations can be applied to \"packed\" ciphertexts that encrypt vectors of plaintext elements. In this work, we introduce permuting/routing techniques to move plaintext elements across\nthese vectors efficiently. Hence, we are able to implement general arithmetic circuit in a batched fashion without ever needing to \"unpack\" the plaintext vectors.\n\nWe also introduce some other optimizations that can speed up homomorphic evaluation in certain cases. For example, we show how to use the Frobenius map to raise plaintext elements to powers of~ at the \"cost\" of a linear operation."

regards,
Alex

Abe Jellinek

Jul 15, 2024, 8:41:21 AM (yesterday) Jul 15
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
Try adding `"defer": true` to the tests. I’m guessing those equations are in the process(?) of rendering when Scaffold runs the tests. We do actually allow page-rendering JS to run before executing tests on Z7, so I can try tweaking that logic a little to see if we can get these to pass.