Is there a javascript or zotero function to move a file to trash instead of delete it directly from disk?

Minyi Han

Sep 3, 2021, 8:50:59 AM9/3/21
to zotero-dev
zacurry suggested 3rd party solutions, however I have no idea how to use npm in zotero run javascript window.

Origin post:
Now the function OS.File.remove (file) was used, where file is the path, for example d:/files/aa.txt, however the file was removed directly from disk. Is there a function to move the file to the trash (Windows or Linux)?

Dan Stillman

Sep 3, 2021, 6:43:58 PM9/3/21
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
Note that this doesn't have anything to do with "JavaScript" — OS.File.remove() is specific to the Mozilla internals (and outdated ones, at that) used in Zotero. This isn't really a question for Stack Overflow.

There's no API for that in Mozilla or Zotero, and it's not something you can really do in a proper way on other people's systems (where you'd be limited to mv [1]).

[1] https://github.com/sindresorhus/trash#but-i-can-do-the-same-thing-with-mv

Minyi Han

Sep 18, 2021, 2:15:39 AM9/18/21
to zotero-dev
Thanks Dan for your kindly reply.

Minyi Han

Nov 7, 2021, 1:53:30 AM11/7/21
to zotero-dev
Could the npm command be applied in JS code?

npm install trash

Then we could use trash command.

Minyi Han

Jan 24, 2022, 7:47:22 PM1/24/22
to zotero-dev
Could these JS ( trash/lib at main · sindresorhus/trash (github.com)  )be integrated into the plugin I made, then the trash command be used?

Emiliano Heyns

Jan 26, 2022, 4:12:06 PM1/26/22
to zotero-dev
The user would have to have node installed. Alternately, you could bundle the executables from the trash npm module, and call them with Zotero.Utilities.Internal.exec

Minyi Han

Jan 26, 2022, 7:32:23 PM1/26/22
to zotero-dev
Thanks Emiliano Heyns. Need I install nmp application first? And how to bundle  executables? Is there an example or code snippet?