Breaking changes for plugins wtih upcoming Zotero beta?

A. Ortega

Sep 4, 2021, 6:23:15 AM9/4/21
to zotero-dev
Reposting here from the forum.

Follow up to https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/91449/add-ons-broken-in-the-latest-beta-version-bbt-zutilo-etc

Is there a place where breaking changes are listed with examples for the migration? I saw this linked on the previous thread: https://github.com/scitedotai/scite-zotero-plugin/pull/26 but to be honest, I have no idea what of those things affects my plugin (Mdnotes) nor what would be the required changes.

Do you plan to release some sort of migration guide? (An example from my field: http://wiki.ros.org/noetic/Migration)

I'd also like to ask if there is any planned/estimated date for the release of Zotero 6, since I still need to reserve some time to migrate Mdnotes to support the beta, while juggling work and PhD deadlines too. Currently tracking that here: https://github.com/argenos/zotero-mdnotes/issues/133

Thanks!

adoma...@gmail.com

Oct 1, 2021, 8:03:20 AM10/1/21
to zotero-dev
Hi, sorry for the late reply.

On Saturday, 4 September 2021 at 13:23:15 UTC+3 A. Ortega wrote:
Is there a place where breaking changes are listed with examples for the migration?

This would be the place where these things are discussed. There is no centralized list of breaking changes, primarily, because historically API breaking changes to Zotero have been fairly rare and few. We do plan to migrate to a newer version of Firefox at some point in the future, which will likely include some breaking changes however and we'll consider creating a dedicated page somewhere if the list of changes is significant.

I saw this linked on the previous thread: https://github.com/scitedotai/scite-zotero-plugin/pull/26 but to be honest, I have no idea what of those things affects my plugin (Mdnotes) nor what would be the required changes.

Do you plan to release some sort of migration guide? (An example from my field: http://wiki.ros.org/noetic/Migration)

The first post on the pull request that you have posted includes a migration guide. If you need anything more, you should ask something more specific.

A. Ortega

Jan 20, 2022, 5:32:53 AM1/20/22
to zotero-dev
Thanks for that. I've started to work on this on some of my breaks, but I'd love to know more about what is planned for the markdown export on the new version. Particularly this part from https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/93521/available-for-beta-testing-markdown-export-of-notes :

We'll be adding more customizability to this in future versions, so let us know what sorts of options you'd like to see.

If you are planning to add templating with something like nunjucks [1] or handlebars [2], then that would cover most of the cases mdnotes currently covers and I can most likely deprecate the plugin once the beta is out.