Placing full-text search data in a separate database

Evgeny Markhasin

May 26, 2024, 1:59:00 AMMay 26
to zotero-dev
My SQLite Zotero database is more than 90% the full-text tables. Why not placing them in a separate database file?

Alain Borel

May 27, 2024, 1:02:53 AMMay 27
to zotero-dev
Is it a problem?

Evgeny Markhasin

May 27, 2024, 2:49:54 AMMay 27
to zotero-dev
It is. I have a real-time cloud back-up and a limited bandwidth (I do not use online Zotero library/sync). So it does make a difference whether the database file is 30 MB or 330 MB. If I attach all PDFs and increase indexing limit, the difference will grow further.

Alain Borel

May 27, 2024, 1:37:02 PMMay 27
to zotero-dev
I can't comment on the feasibility and priority, but it certainly helps to understand the motivation. Thanks for the explanation!

Abe Jellinek

May 28, 2024, 12:37:38 PMMay 28
to zoter...@googlegroups.com

Evgeny Markhasin

May 29, 2024, 6:52:13 AMMay 29
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
The SQLite dev team confirmed that SQLite supports such a design (https://sqlite.org/forum/forumpost/d2f0f5f69e). The idea is that the second database containing full-text search data is attached to the connection having "zotero.sqlite" as  the "main" database. An SQLite's search option  (perhaps, already used by Zotero anyway) can then be used to specify the location of the full-text search tables.

Emiliano Heyns

May 29, 2024, 11:40:01 AMMay 29
to zotero-dev
The ATTACH isn't the issue, but having the zotero database in a cloud-synced directory is very likely going to corrupt the database(s) at some point.