Pay for small addon development

Cash Weaver

Jan 3, 2021, 7:00:04 PM1/3/21
to zotero-dev
Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is the right place. I'm looking to get a small addon developed. I'll describe it below but let me know if there is a better place for this discussion!

Description: I like to keep PDFs of blogs/etc I've read and want to read in Zotero. As of now, my workflow is to save the PDF (print as PDF)  and manually attach it to the relevant item. I'd prefer to have two options available: (1) right-click on an item and select an option from the drop-down, or (2) press a key binding, and have a PDF be downloaded automatically. I think Zotero.Attachments.importFromUrl will do the trick. The download URL would be a concatenation of a base URL (eg: "https://some-url-to-pdf-service.com/?url="), which would be set in an editable preference of the addon in the Zotero UI, and the URL field of the selected item.

Deliverable: An addon which accomplishes the goal outlined in the description as either a github repo or a zip of the code.

Cheers,
Cash

Cash Weaver

Jan 5, 2021, 9:33:29 PM1/5/21
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
Alternatively, could someone point me in the right direction code-wise? I took a swing at writing up the solution myself based on Zotfile and Zutilio but it isn't quite working.

Cheers,
Cash

Igor Kukushkin

Jan 5, 2021, 11:15:36 PM1/5/21
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I've built sort of a similar thing (pet project for web and groupchat history OSINT-ish stuff with benefits: modified client/connector/dataserver, ArchiveBox to store copies / use specific locations or credentials, mongo for queue/requeue/update tracking, grakn for magic things, trilium and docsify for views, some scihub magic, plus app API for tagging/reviewing things/relations on the go, - no kill like overkill),

some pointers:

 - if expecting more than 100s items/day in your workflow, perhaps its better to look into dataserver/client/direct SQL instead of trying to reverse engineer plugin docs and learn horror XUL on the way (also make sure its a plugin, not an improvement to existing translator).
Otherwise: UI operations should work on item groups by default.

- to avoid dealing with XUL overlays [1] (though I see cashweaver/zotero-add-pdf-from-generator already has that) and keypresses like in [2] or [3]: hack zutilo [4] to run your function by binding a shortcut to "document.getElementById('zotero-view-tabbox') ..."

-  try ArchiveBox as well? [5] with built-in queue/instance management, its a bit better than selenium grid or headless chrome + print to pdf

If you're OK with using modified client as a "get things done quick" type of hack (imo not worth money or effort to do it as plugin from scratch; started it with a backlog of some hundreds k entities, so maybe a bit biased) instead of plugin approach, drop me a message maybe.