How can the Zotero API be leveraged to get collection items with their full citations?

Aidan Smith

Sep 14, 2022, 2:54:15 PM9/14/22
to zotero-dev
At the recommendation of another user, I'm reposting my question here:

Hi,

I have an online bibliography that I produce and curate (https://www.networkdee.org/bibliography). This bibliography pulls from my Zotero library using the Zotero API.

If you click on an entry in the search results window (take for example: https://www.networkdee.org/library/a-comparative-analysis-of-carbon-emissions-from-online-retailing-of-fast-moving-consumer-goods/DIJJQ3RE) you'll see that I display some citation information by drawing from specific field values within my Zotero database.

I would like to change this. Instead, of pulling from different field values in Zotero, I'd like to pull into the online bibliography one piece of information from Zotero — the full citation of the entry, formatted to the correct Item Type. For example, on the Desktop Client, I could manually go to a specific entry, click "Edit," and "Copy Bibliography" to get the full citation. While, in reality, I cannot do this manually, this at least illustrates my ideal output, i.e. the output I'd like to display on my online bibliography...something like:

Balkin, Jack. “2016 Sidley Austin Distinguished Lecture on Big Data Law and Policy: The three laws of robotics in the age of big data.” Ohio State Law Journal 78, no. 5 (2017): 1217–41.

My question is: How can I use the Zotero API to pull each entry's full citation, formatted to the correct Item Type, so that I can then display that information on my website? What part of the API allows for this and does anyone have any examples of how this can be done?

Thank you,
Aidan

Dan Stillman

Sep 14, 2022, 4:28:27 PM9/14/22
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
On 9/14/22 2:54 PM, Aidan Smith wrote:
My question is: How can I use the Zotero API to pull each entry's full citation, formatted to the correct Item Type, so that I can then display that information on my website? What part of the API allows for this and does anyone have any examples of how this can be done?

As I said in the forums, if I'm understanding you correctly, it sounds like you're just looking for content=bib.