Preferences Panes in Zotero 7 and 6

maie...@gmail.com

May 28, 2024, 5:30:26 AMMay 28
to zotero-dev
Hi,

I'm playing with version 1.2 of the Make-it-red plugin (https://github.com/zotero/make-it-red/tree/main/src-1.2) to see how a plugin that works in both Zotero 6 and 7 would look like. So far, the basic features seem to work just fine, but I'm struggling with the preference pane. I've managed to add a basic preference pane to Zotero 7, but it does not show up in Zotero 6. https://www.zotero.org/support/dev/zotero_7_for_developers#default_preferences speaks about default preferences handling in both versions, but the information https://www.zotero.org/support/dev/zotero_7_for_developers#preference_panes seems to be valid only for Zotero 7.

How would you deal with that?

Without the preference pane it seems not possible to build a plugin that works with both versions, right?

Best,
Denis

XY Wong

May 28, 2024, 5:46:28 AMMay 28
to zotero-dev
It's not a good time to start working on a new plugin with Zotero 6 compatibility, considering Zotero 7 will be out soon.

On Zotero 6 you'll need to either overlay the prefs window (in an overlay plugin) or listen to prefs window opening and inject your pane manually. The Zotero.PreferencePanes is only for Zotero 7.

maie...@gmail.com

May 28, 2024, 6:05:50 AMMay 28
to zotero-dev
Yes, I'm migrating an existing plugin. I could just keep two versions of the plugin, but I wanted to avoid that. But maybe it's not really worth it...

(Also the question is what exactly "Zotero 7 will be out soon" means. Because that likely affects whether development should happen in the Z6 or Z7 branch of the plugin. My plugin is used in an instituational setting, and our IT department won't install beta versions...)