Dataserver - Storage Location - Self-hosted

Gregg

May 16, 2021, 2:41:46 AM5/16/21
to zotero-dev
Good day Zoteroans,

I've seen numerous discussions around the topic self-hosted dataserver, but no clear direction on exactly how one can self-host. Fortunately, I've found some resources by going through some references to GitHub repos, including some Zotero Docker links, that also include some links to some docs.

I think a Docker approach will help me to check things out with the dataserver and even host it in my local environment for some users.

Going through some of the source code (php), it seems that the ONLY data store that is available is through Amazon AWS (S3).

This discussion provided some specifics around how the client/server interact and determine if a new file should be uploaded to the data store.

So, my question here is... While the above referenced article is from 2013 and may be outdated -- Is this still the case that ONLY the dataserver can ONLY store its files through the use of Amazon AWS (S3)? Or is there another hook available to store it elsewhere? I would like to simply store the files on the local filesystem if possible. I have a need where the data cannot get outside our network (as I've seen many others have this need, too).

Thank you in advance for the help and any suggestions!

-gregg

Avram Lyon

May 17, 2021, 1:00:51 PM5/17/21
to zotero-dev
On Sat, May 15, 2021 at 11:41 PM Gregg <ggra...@gmail.com> wrote:
So, my question here is... While the above referenced article is from 2013 and may be outdated -- Is this still the case that ONLY the dataserver can ONLY store its files through the use of Amazon AWS (S3)? Or is there another hook available to store it elsewhere? I would like to simply store the files on the local filesystem if possible. I have a need where the data cannot get outside our network (as I've seen many others have this need, too).

Generally, much such software is able to store against compatible implementations of the S3 API, such as Minio. While I don't know for sure that users of Zotero Dataserver have tried using Minio, it may work out of the box.