Zotero version not always updated in Windows registry

Michael Jungnickl

Aug 3, 2022, 10:05:37 AMAug 3
to zotero-dev
Zotero writes it's version into the Windows registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Key: "CurrentVersion"

When Zotero updates, this key isn't always updated correctly.

Two examples:

Office PC, Windows 10.
Zotero version is 6.0.10.
Registy version is 5.0.77.

Home PC, Windows 7.
Zotero version is 6.0.10.
Registry version is 6.0.4.

Why is it useful:

Some of our customers doesn't update to Zotero 6.

Therefore we need the Zotero version to send the Integration Command in the old format too.

Dan Stillman

Aug 3, 2022, 3:39:35 PMAug 3
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
Known issue: https://github.com/zotero/zotero-standalone-build/issues/75

(But I would personally just discontinue Zotero 5 support. Zotero 6 has
been out for months and is an automatic upgrade. If someone really wants
to use an older version of Zotero, they can use an older version of your
software as well, but there's no reason for you to spend time supporting
old versions of Zotero.)

Michael Jungnickl

Aug 9, 2022, 8:25:23 AMAug 9
to zotero-dev
I like to switch only the integration commands between versions 5 and 6. The customers has problems there.

Zotero seems to find the real version which was installed for Windows. Does Zotero also find the real versions für Linux and MacOS?

Can the wordprocessor as client also detect the real version of Zotero? Of course without sending messages.