Zoom widget dissappears

Christopher Mitchell

Feb 24, 2012, 1:38:07 PM2/24/12
to Zoom
After a restart, my zoom widget disappears! Trying to re show it
causes an error "already a widget with that name" even though there is
no widget to be found.
I attempted to rename my widget, which produced a seemingly working
copy, then on the next restart, the SPB Shell wouldn't load and was
not functional until I cleared all it's data. The Motorola blur
(stock) shell still would work, but had the same problem in the zoom
widget disappearing!
Zoom is cool, and Tasker is as cool as ice. But as of now Zoom is
completely useless! Please fix.

Droid X
Android 2.3.4
Version 4.5.621.MB810.Verizon.en.US

P.S. I had the same problem with Version 4.5.605

electricpete

Aug 5, 2012, 1:55:57 AM8/5/12
to zoo...@googlegroups.com, mitch1...@gmail.com
Hmm,. I seem to have same problem.
I installed Zoom Widgets.
I created some templates.
I long pressed installed them on my home screens.
After installation, I noticed they also showed up in the active widgets tab (with a ".w" appended to the filename).

I rebooted.  Widgets appear to be gone. I cannot see them.  I cannot click on them.  They do not show up in the active widgets tab.
Oddly, if I long press on the area where the widgets were, I get a vibrate which suggests Android thinks something is there and I want to move or delete it.
I was able to move an invisible widget around my homescreen, and could tell where it was by that vibrate response when I long-pressed that area. But tapping on the invisible widget does nothing.

Anyone have suggestions?

electricpete

Aug 5, 2012, 1:16:24 PM8/5/12
to zoo...@googlegroups.com, mitch1...@gmail.com

I tried several experiments.  On all occasions when I rebooted, the widgets disappeared from the home screen and the Active Widgets tab.  On some occasions they remained intact in the templates tab.  On other occasions, the versions stored in the templates tab were corrupted beyond recognition.

Here is the final experiment which convinced me it’s nothing I did wrong, the program is just broken (at least on my phone):
Clear data from zoom and uninstall.
Reboot.

At this point any traces of my prior activities are gone. It’s a fresh start,

Install Zoom.
Perform screen calibration per instructions
Install a single icon from the preinstalled widgets (wifi button 1x1)
Reboot

Once again, the widget (built in) is gone from the home screen (actually invisible and inactive, similar to my initial post).
And there is nothing since the fresh start that I can blame on myself.

This is enough to convince me that it’s nothing I did wrong....This App just does not work on my phone.

By the way, there’s nothing special about my phone.
Samsung Infuse Froyo stock rom, stock launcher.

I would recommend that anyone who downloads this program try rebooting early (before spending a lot of time on the program) to see if you have the same problem.
I have no hard feelings toward the developer. Tasker is great.  Zoom looks like a great program if not for this problem  (and it appears it works fine for some other people).

electricpete

Aug 6, 2012, 9:00:00 PM8/6/12
to zoo...@googlegroups.com, mitch1...@gmail.com
An interesting foot-note.

I installed Minimalistic Text.  Every time I install a widget on my home screen, it Force Closes.

I have no other problems on my phone...can't remember last time I forced closed.   Plenty of memory.  No Tasker Profiles active at the time.  No problem installing Tasker Widgets and Color Note Widgets.

Still it makes me wonder if there's something wrong with my phone (or it's setup) which creates problems with these two applications (Zoom and Minimalistic text).

I'm at a loss as to what to check.

Any suggestions?

electricpete

Aug 26, 2012, 2:50:42 AM8/26/12
to zoo...@googlegroups.com, mitch1...@gmail.com
I installed Gingerbread (2.3.6) on my phone and I am happy to report that zoom now works perfectly for me.
I'm not sure exactly why, but problem is now solved.

pevin...@gmail.com

Jan 11, 2013, 12:24:11 PM1/11/13
to zoo...@googlegroups.com, mitch1...@gmail.com
Same Problem here.

Running CM7 on a Motorolla Triumph.

Templates are fine on my phone, but otherwise same problem. It does not happen consistently for me though. Everything will be working fine for weeks, and then 1 day the widget will just stop working. After next reboot widget is invisible, will not work, & disappears from active list,  but can be moved or deleted from android.

If I try to add a widget with the same name, even after deleting the invisible widget, it tells me there is already a widget active with that name.