Any reset pin on the ZoomFloppy?

PDrill

Jan 18, 2022, 4:32:24 PM1/18/22
to ZoomFloppy Users
Quite often my ZF get's stuck (mostly because some kind of floppy error) and as it doesn't have a reset button I need to disconnect/reconnect the USB cable. Is there any pin etc on the device I could connect a reset button to?

PDrill

Jan 18, 2022, 6:06:05 PM1/18/22
to ZoomFloppy Users
..or maybe cut a line on the usb to cut power to the device? Which line/pin?

Spiro Trikaliotis

Jan 19, 2022, 12:43:14 AM1/19/22
to zoomflop...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
Have you tried issuing another command?

If the ZF gets stuck, it should reset itself with the next command. I
usually use a cbmctrl reset command to do the reset.

Doesn't this work for you?

Regards,
Spiro

--
Spiro R. Trikaliotis
https://spiro.trikaliotis.net/

Nate Lawson

Jan 19, 2022, 2:11:55 AM1/19/22
to zoomflop...@googlegroups.com

> On Jan 18, 2022, at 9:43 PM, Spiro Trikaliotis <an-zoomfl...@spiro.trikaliotis.net> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> * On Tue, Jan 18, 2022 at 01:32:24PM -0800 PDrill wrote:
>> Quite often my ZF get's stuck (mostly because some kind of floppy error) and as
>> it doesn't have a reset button I need to disconnect/reconnect the USB cable. Is
>> there any pin etc on the device I could connect a reset button to?
>
> Have you tried issuing another command?
>
> If the ZF gets stuck, it should reset itself with the next command. I
> usually use a cbmctrl reset command to do the reset.
>
> Doesn't this work for you?

If it doesn’t, I want to hear about it. There is a reset pin but there’s no reason this can’t always be handled in software.

-Nate

PDrill

Jan 19, 2022, 7:28:51 AM1/19/22
to ZoomFloppy Users
I'll give you an example just from this morning making a .D64 out of a floppy with CBM Transfer.

Copying starts fine. After a few percent the drive starts to bang it's head on the wall, most likely because of a read error. I click abort on the CBM Transfer and then I get a message saying 'You may need to unplug the Zoom Floppy in order to reset it!'. If I do no nothing, it will keep banging for ever and Zoom Floppy led flashes like it's doing something. Nothing can be done from CBM transfer at this time, init, reset, status, they do nothing. Then I disconnect the USB and the drive stops and red led flashes. Reconnecting the USB resets (or at least does something) everything and after that everything is in order again.

Has to be noted also that clicking abort doesn't stop the drive in any other case (fully working floppies with D64 operations or file copy) either, the drive will do it's work until it's finished (or starts to bang if the floppy is faulty). Again, only solution is to abort the process is to disconnect-reconnect the USB cable. I am aware that operations like format can't be aborted, so I'm not talking about that, just pure file transfer operations.

I've had the ZF I believe since 2016 and through the years I've had multiple Commodore drives and at least 3 PC's and all these years I've been longing for a reset button :-/

PDrill

Jan 19, 2022, 7:36:33 AM1/19/22
to ZoomFloppy Users
Oh, just tried the reset thing. Until now I've just used CBM Transfer for everything. Cbmctrl reset results in:

USB error: P♫σd
USB release intf error: libusb0-dll:err [release_interface] could not release interface 0, win error: The requested resource is in use.

Spiro Trikaliotis

Jan 19, 2022, 9:27:33 AM1/19/22

* On Wed, Jan 19, 2022 at 04:28:51AM -0800 PDrill wrote:

> Copying starts fine. After a few percent the drive starts to bang it's head on
> the wall, most likely because of a read error. I click abort on the CBM
> Transfer and then I get a message saying 'You may need to unplug the Zoom
> Floppy in order to reset it!'. If I do no nothing, it will keep banging for
> ever and Zoom Floppy led flashes like it's doing something. Nothing can be done
> from CBM transfer at this time, init, reset, status, they do nothing. Then I
> disconnect the USB and the drive stops and red led flashes. Reconnecting the
> USB resets (or at least does something) everything and after that everything is
> in order again.

Please contact Steve Gray, the author of CBM Transfer. If it behaves
this way, it is a bug in CBM Transfer.

Why?

When you abort the operation on CBM Transfer, then CBM Transfer should
stop (abort, kill, whatever you want to call it) the running OpenCBM
program.

Looking at your description, it seems it does not kill it. Thus, the
OpenCBM tool (d64copy or else) is still open, so any subsequent call of
an OpenCBM tool (like cbmctrl reset) will fail, as the ZoomFloppy is
still being used by the PC.

By killing the hanging program, CBM Transfer would be able to issue
another one (like cbmctrl reset) to put the ZF again in a usable state.

Unplugging the ZF from USB, you tell Windows to destroy its device
drivers. This is propagated to the OpenCBM tool, which itself stops
working. That's why this work-around works.

However, it is an ugly hack and it is not the way it should be.

> Has to be noted also that clicking abort doesn't stop the drive in any other
> case (fully working floppies with D64 operations or file copy) either, the
> drive will do it's work until it's finished (or starts to bang if the floppy is
> faulty). Again, only solution is to abort the process is to
> disconnect-reconnect the USB cable. I am aware that operations like format
> can't be aborted, so I'm not talking about that, just pure file transfer
> operations.

Well, when you use to OpenCBM tools from the command line, then you can
abort the operation in progress (with Ctrl+C). For formatting, even that
can be aborted by issuing cbmctrl reset.

Thus, what you are encountering is really a limitation of CBM Transfer,
not of OpenCBM or the ZF.

As far as I know, Steve is not on this mailing list. I will write him a
mail off-list, with you in Cc:

Pontus Berg

Jan 19, 2022, 10:45:33 AM1/19/22
to zoomflop...@googlegroups.com
Steve's wife passed away last week, so now it possibly not the best time to approach him with it.  Or then again, possibly it is.

Spiro Trikaliotis

Jan 19, 2022, 10:51:07 AM1/19/22
to zoomflop...@googlegroups.com
Hello Pontus,

* On Wed, Jan 19, 2022 at 04:45:19PM +0100 Pontus Berg wrote:
> Steve's wife passed away last week, so now it possibly not the best time to
> approach him with it.  Or then again, possibly it is.

Oh..... I did not know this.

Unfortunately, I already mailed him.

Nate Lawson

Jan 19, 2022, 12:36:56 PM1/19/22
to zoomflop...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like the problem is CBM Transfer. Try restarting it instead of unplugging USB

-Nate

On Jan 19, 2022, at 4:28 AM, PDrill <pora...@hotmail.com> wrote:

I'll give you an example just from this morning making a .D64 out of a floppy with CBM Transfer.

Spiro Trikaliotis

Jan 19, 2022, 3:12:46 PM1/19/22

* On Wed, Jan 19, 2022 at 04:36:33AM -0800 PDrill wrote:
> Oh, just tried the reset thing. Until now I've just used CBM Transfer for
> everything. Cbmctrl reset results in:
>
> USB error: P♫σd
> USB release intf error: libusb0-dll:err [release_interface] could not release
> interface 0, win error: The requested resource is in use.

this tells me that my analysis (CBM Transfer not interrupting the
OpenCBM tool) is correct: Because CBM Transfer does not stop the tool,
you cannot issue any other command.

You might have a look in the task manager and look for the hanging
program (d64copy.exe or imgcopy.exe when copying a whole disk image,
cbmcopy.exe when copying files, cbmctrl.exe when issuing reset, dir, or
other commands, cbmformat.exe when formatting, nibread.exe when nibbling
(reading) or nibwrite.exe when nibbling (writing). Then, stop that.

After this, you should be able to issue a reset again.

Steve Gray

Jan 20, 2022, 4:43:44 PM1/20/22
to zoomflop...@googlegroups.com
It’s not so much a bug, but a missing feature. To be honest, I never looked into killing the process, and unplugging doesn’t really bother me. That said, I will try to look at it when I get a chance. Also, I have had absolutely zero feedback on CBM-Transfer 2 beta since release on Jan 1. So that and my wife’s passing means I’m not exactly motivated right now.

Steve

Sent from my iPad

On Jan 19, 2022, at 12:36 PM, Nate Lawson <na...@root.org> wrote:

Sounds like the problem is CBM Transfer. Try restarting it instead of unplugging USB

Pontus Berg

Jan 20, 2022, 6:43:41 PM1/20/22
to zoomflop...@googlegroups.com
Steve,

It's on my todo list and I do promise to try to make an effort on it as soon as I can. Sorry :-(

/Pontus Berg
 Mobile: +46 735 082860

Steve Gray

Jan 20, 2022, 8:17:01 PM1/20/22
to zoomflop...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, my comment was not directed at you. Everyone is busy. No rush.

Steve

Sent from my iPad