Issue I'm not sure how to solve

RETRO Innovations

Jun 29, 2021, 8:34:44 PM6/29/21
to zoomflop...@googlegroups.com
I have opencbm .103

Tried to install on an old WIndows 7 32 bit OS to have a portable
programming station

installer complains about missing xp_drv, but appears to install.

Computer previously had a working .98 or .99 (whichever was the ZF v7
compatible one), but I need to program units with v08.

when I try to run cbmctrl to upgrade, it complains about MISSING LIBUSB.

I figured I'd use Zadig, but Zadig, though it claims otherwise, won't
run on 32 bit W7

So, I figured I'd just install the driver directly, so I uninstalled the
ZF driver and tried to install from the tools dir, where there's an INF
file, but no matter whether I choose (generic) or v08 drivers, the
dialog box comes up ans says I need to put in the disk for CoInstaller
something or other.

No sense wasting too many calories on this, as I have a second W10
machine that's 64 bit, but I thought perhaps there was a simple mistake
I was making.

Jim

www.go4retro.com
store.go4retro.com

Spiro Trikaliotis

Jun 30, 2021, 1:31:17 AM6/30/21
to zoomflop...@googlegroups.com
Hello Jim,

* On Tue, Jun 29, 2021 at 07:34:41PM -0500 RETRO Innovations wrote:
> I have opencbm .103
>
> Tried to install on an old WIndows 7 32 bit OS to have a portable
> programming station
>
> installer complains about missing xp_drv, but appears to install.
>
> Computer previously had a working .98 or .99 (whichever was the ZF v7
> compatible one), but I need to program units with v08.
>
> when I try to run cbmctrl to upgrade, it complains about MISSING LIBUSB.

Unfortunately, this is a known issue on some machines. If there was a
working OpenCBM configuration on it before the update (with libusb 0.x),
it sometimes misses to update to libusb 1.x.

Some people reported that trying it twice or three times in a row, it
eventually succeeded. Or removing the old ZF driver from Windows helped
in some cases.

> I figured I'd use Zadig, but Zadig, though it claims otherwise, won't run on
> 32 bit W7

Search for "zadig windows xp" on thr search engine of your choice and
you will find older versions which even support XP or Vista.

If you cannot find one, I can send you one via direct mail.

> So, I figured I'd just install the driver directly, so I uninstalled the ZF
> driver and tried to install from the tools dir, where there's an INF file,
> but no matter whether I choose (generic) or v08 drivers, the dialog box
> comes up ans says I need to put in the disk for CoInstaller something or
> other.

The CoInstaller DLLs are part of the "INFer.exe" infrastructure (which,
itself, is using libwdi, the "core" of zadig.exe). As said, the
CoInstaller is part of the resources of INFer.exe.

You can get the drivers from the git, though: In the
https://github.com/OpenCBM/OpenCBM/tree/master/windrv directory, there
are amd64 and i386 subdirectories which contain the coinstaller versions
for 32 bit and 64 bit systems which are the last ones to also work on XP
(01009). The newer nes (01011 and newer) work only on Win 7 and above.

But, again, if I were you, I would use zadig instead of that one.

And I have to find the root cause for the update problem (which is the
reason why it is not called 0.5.0 yet).

Regards,
Spiro.

--
Spiro R. Trikaliotis
https://spiro.trikaliotis.net/

RETRO Innovations

Jul 7, 2021, 12:29:58 AM7/7/21
On 6/30/2021 12:31 AM, Spiro Trikaliotis wrote:
> Hello Jim,
>
> * On Tue, Jun 29, 2021 at 07:34:41PM -0500 RETRO Innovations wrote:
>> I have opencbm .103
>>
>> Tried to install on an old WIndows 7 32 bit OS to have a portable
>> programming station
>>
>> installer complains about missing xp_drv, but appears to install.
>>
>> Computer previously had a working .98 or .99 (whichever was the ZF v7
>> compatible one), but I need to program units with v08.
>>
>> when I try to run cbmctrl to upgrade, it complains about MISSING LIBUSB.
> Unfortunately, this is a known issue on some machines. If there was a
> working OpenCBM configuration on it before the update (with libusb 0.x),
> it sometimes misses to update to libusb 1.x.
OK...

> Some people reported that trying it twice or three times in a row, it
> eventually succeeded. Or removing the old ZF driver from Windows helped
> in some cases.
>
>> I figured I'd use Zadig, but Zadig, though it claims otherwise, won't run on
>> 32 bit W7
> Search for "zadig windows xp" on thr search engine of your choice and
> you will find older versions which even support XP or Vista.
I did find on (on the main site, but not visible from the site, had to
find it from google.

> And I have to find the root cause for the update problem (which is the
> reason why it is not called 0.5.0 yet).

Well, I'm afraid your suggestions fixed mine, so I can't provide any
more info.

Thanks, though.

Jim

Nate Lawson