Re: Digest for zoomfloppy-users@googlegroups.com - 1 update in 1 topic

Bob Reid

May 4, 2021, 1:45:09 PMMay 4
to zoomflop...@googlegroups.com
I'm pretty sure I've heard that as well, and that some have mentioned that sometimes if the cable is too long or not shielded as well it can be an issue. I also believe the zoomfloppy is more finicky with IEC signal than normal C64 hardware.

On Tue, May 4, 2021, 6:47 AM <zoomflop...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Roy Jacobs <roy.j...@gmail.com>: May 04 12:27AM -0700

I just received my ZoomFloppy. I bought it because previously I had a
XUM1541 but it would only send a reset to my 1541 but I couldn't read
anything back.

Unfortunately the ZF has the exact same issue: I can send resets but I
cannot detect the drive or read anything from it.

I've seen it mentioned that it could be the (plain old) IEC cable, but the
1541 works absolutely fine on my C64 so I'm not convinced that that would
be the issue. I've also tried OpenCBM on multiple OSes (MacOS, Windows,
Raspberry PI) and they all exhibit the same behaviour.

So I'm at a loss, what could be causing this issue?

RETRO Innovations

May 4, 2021, 1:59:40 PMMay 4
On 5/4/2021 12:44 PM, Bob Reid wrote:
> I'm pretty sure I've heard that as well, and that some have mentioned
> that sometimes if the cable is too long or not shielded as well it can
> be an issue. I also believe the zoomfloppy is more finicky with IEC
> signal than normal C64 hardware.

CBMctrl dir 8 uses the standard IEC protocol, so if that does not work,
then it's not a protocol timing issue.  And, IEC (at standard speeds) is
pretty relaxed, so cable issues should not be a cause.

I assume the OP is using the same cable as works on the 64. In that
case, the only think I can think is that the 64 I believe has pullups on
the data lines, and so does the drive.  But, ZF does not.  So, if the
drive pullups are bad, that may cause an issue.

Jim