New ZoomFloppy setup on Win XP

karls...@comcast.net

Sep 3, 2022, 7:52:35 PM9/3/22
to ZoomFloppy Users
Hello ,
I have recently purchased the ZoomFloppy and am having difficulty getting it set up.
OS: Windows XP SP3 32-bit
Drive: 1571 (I have a 1541 as well)
Link: USB

I have downloaded and tried a couple of different OpenCBM packages.
Using opencbm-ZoomFloppy-2.0-i386, the install.bat command created the c:\openCbm folder and binaries, etc. I also got the xum driver installed in Windows with no problems.
But runtest complained about firmware 8 > 7 and didn't display an attached drive.
Updating the firmware seemed to do nothing.

After restoring the drive image I tried opencbm-0.4.99.104, but it didn't create c:\opencbm and due to that could not find xp_drv.

I'd like to know where I can download the latest installers, as I get conflicting links depending on where I look.

I could switch to my Windows 10 Pro 64-bit PC if that would be better.

Thank you,
Karl Wilson

Nate Lawson

Sep 4, 2022, 11:59:16 AM9/4/22
to ZoomFloppy Users
The firmware in the ZF is newer than the OpenCBM files on the PC. Thus it can’t control it. You need the latest version of OpenCBM, which is currently opencbm-0.4.99.104

https://sourceforge.net/projects/opencbm/files/opencbm/

Spiro Trikaliotis

Sep 4, 2022, 3:53:57 PM9/4/22
to zoomflop...@googlegroups.com
Hello Karl,

* On Sat, Sep 03, 2022 at 04:52:35PM -0700 karls...@comcast.net wrote:

> I have downloaded and tried a couple of different OpenCBM packages.
> Using opencbm-ZoomFloppy-2.0-i386, the install.bat command created the c:\
> openCbm folder and binaries, etc. I also got the xum driver installed in
> Windows with no problems.

Unfortunately, that version is outdated, so:

> But runtest complained about firmware 8 > 7 and didn't display an attached
> drive.

... this is the outcome.

You need a newer version of OpenCBM for your firmware.

> After restoring the drive image I tried opencbm-0.4.99.104, but it didn't
> create c:\opencbm and due to that could not find xp_drv.

Well, installing OpenCBM 0.4.99.104 on XP is a little bit tricky and not
completely working yet. I am always surprised that I do not get more
complaints. ;)

c:\opencbm was *NEVER* a recommended place for OpenCBM (although, I
know, the installer of opencbm-Zoomfloppy-2.0-i386 used that).

Instead, opencbm 0.4.99.104 installs OpenCBM into
%ProgramFiles%\OpenCBM; that is, on a German Win XP, it is (normally)
c:\Programme\OpenCBM. I think on an English XP, it is called
C:\Program Files\OpenCBM.

Does this location exist on your machine?

If not, then you have the following problme: The installer script makes
the assumption that the administrator account on the machine is called
"administrator". If it is called this way, it will install OpenCBM as
administrator, and everything will work. If the account is not called
"administrator", then the script will silently fail. :(

How to fix this? You have two options:

1. Install OpenCBM 0.4.99.104 by logging in with your administrator
account and installing it from there, or

2. open the file installer.cmd, search for the line
runas /user:administrator "\"%~dpnx0\" --internal_call_elevated %*"
and replace the name "administrator" by the name of the administrator
account you have on your machine.
Then, you can try to install it again with the script from your
account.

And now, there is a third problem: The driver bundles with OpenCBM
0.4.99.104 do not work on Windows XP. Microsoft dropped support for XP,
so they do not work.

Note: You really *need* the newer drivers; the ones from
opencbm-ZoomFloppy-2.0-i386 will *not* work!

You have two options to install them:

1. Get the Windows XP driver package from
https://spiro.trikaliotis.net/Download/xu1541+xum1541-winusb-kmdf19-win2000-winxp.zip
unpack it and install the drivers by pointing the driver installer of
Windows to the directory where you uninstalled them, or:

2. Download zadig_xp-2.2.exe from https://zadig.akeo.ie/downloads/ and
install the drivers with that (use the "WinUSB" drivers in ZADIG).

Sorry for this inconvenience, on my TODO list, I have an update of the
XP installation process, but I did not find the time yet for fixing
this.

Also, please note: Do *NOT* use explanations you find on the internet
everywhere. Most of them are really outdated and will not work with
current OpenCBM; furthermore, some of them will leave your machine in a
state where it will be hard to fix it again to make OpenCBM work. In
fact, at least some of the explanations on the Internet where never
right, and cause more harm than they solve.

Regards,
Spiro

--
Spiro R. Trikaliotis
https://spiro.trikaliotis.net/

karls...@comcast.net

Sep 5, 2022, 6:42:56 PM9/5/22
to ZoomFloppy Users
Thanks Spiro. I ran the installer logged in as Administrator.
It seemed to complete, although the start xp_drv command failed, as once again it couldn't find xp_drv, a file that doesn't exist anywhere on C:.
I connected my 1541 and detection was successful! I didn't have to use zadig.

There seems to be a problem with my 1571 :(
I'll try it again after I finish copying my most important floppies with custom PRGs to my PC and test them using Vice.

The CBM files were copied to c:\Program Files\opencbm.

Thanks,
Karl

karls...@comcast.net

Sep 11, 2022, 1:48:20 AM9/11/22
to ZoomFloppy Users
I successfully transferred nearly all of my floppies to d64. Some non-protected disks had errors that were "given up".

But now I'm getting a 99, driver error,00,00 when running cbmctrl status 8.
I've restored the C: image, reinstalled the driver, no change.

I have been disconnecting the USB connection before powering down 1541, but tonight I powered the drive off before disconnecting USB.
Is there some util I can run to diagnose the problem?
Thanks,
Karl

karls...@comcast.net

Sep 11, 2022, 2:13:36 AM9/11/22
to ZoomFloppy Users
The drive cable became dislodged.

I've been using this command to get disk images, and used some of the parameters to help on failing floppies.
d64copy -v 8 image.d64

Do you have any parameters to suggest to get images from defective, un-protected floppies?
I was using some parameters with some success but when I re-imaged the hard disk I lost those bat files.

Nate Lawson

Sep 11, 2022, 4:44:50 PM9/11/22
to ZoomFloppy Users
Boost the error retries and clean the head/disks

https://www.pagetable.com/?p=1352