read error

Brenden Gorenflo

Apr 3, 2021, 2:48:57 PMApr 3
to ZoomFloppy Users

I'm using d64copy and i keep getting read errors and giving up.  Any thoughts?

Nate Lawson

Apr 3, 2021, 6:11:10 PMApr 3
to zoomflop...@googlegroups.com
Try cleaning the heads of the drive or the floppy. If that fails, nibread can do a better job grabbing low level data.

-Nate

On Apr 3, 2021, at 11:49 AM, Brenden Gorenflo <spark...@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm using d64copy and i keep getting read errors and giving up.  Any thoughts?

David Colglazier

Apr 4, 2021, 1:14:16 PMApr 4
to zoomflop...@googlegroups.com
I obtained a C1541 untested but in visibly good condition. It wouldn't read and kept throwing the "drive not ready"  error. I went inside and cleaned the head with a Qtip and rubbing alcohol. There was a lot of gunk on it. It finally became ready after several reading attemps. I believe that the rubber belt and the lubrication grease became supple and free enough for the timings to get into spec.