Zoom Floppy/OpenCBM 1581 format

ken partridge

Dec 22, 2021, 1:37:36 AM12/22/21
to ZoomFloppy Users
Hello,

Looking at the docs for OpenCBM Supported CBM hardware  I saw:
Is there any way to format a 3.5 floppy in a 1581 with ZoomFloppy/OpenCBM ?

If not , is there an alternative ?

Thanks

Spiro Trikaliotis

Dec 22, 2021, 3:09:57 AM12/22/21
to zoomflop...@googlegroups.com
Hello Ken,

* On Tue, Dec 21, 2021 at 10:37:35PM -0800 ken partridge wrote:

> Looking at the docs for OpenCBM Supported CBM hardware I saw:
>
> • VIC 1581 (not with d64copy ( d64copy), not with cbmformat ( cbmformat) or
> cbmforng ( cbmforng))
>
> Is there any way to format a 3.5 floppy in a 1581 with ZoomFloppy/OpenCBM ?

You can still format the disk in a 1581 with the "classical" format
routine:

cbmctrl pcommand 8 n0:name,id

to give the disk in drive #8 the name "name" and the id "id".

The reason why the 1581 is not included in cbmformat is that it is very
different, and format alternatives would not be faster than the stock
format routine.

This is different for the 1541, which is very slow in formatting a disk.

Regards,
Spiro

--
Spiro R. Trikaliotis